What's it worth? > 16' Alumaweld w/40HP Yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOUSE

Reaction score
I know it's hard to price a boat without seeing it in person, but I'm interested in buying a boat from a friend and I'm not sure what it's worth. I couldn't find many similar boats for sale on our local Craigslist to compare this one too. The boat seems to be in great working condition, and the motor started up and ran just fine. It needs new batteries and maybe new carpet, but otherwise looks good to go. It is located in Ohio in case that influences pricing. I don't know the exact year of the boat or motor yet, but here are the known specs (below). Thanks in advance for any advice:

16' AlumaWeld (...It might only be 15' or 15'6")
40hp Yamaha (steering wheel)
65# thrust trolling motor with remote control/iPilot (no GPS)
Electric Trim+Jack plate
Main battery charging station
older Humminbird 400 fishfinder

Here are a few pictures:
0b39de21-2d04-4ec4-89b0-91feb5bb8106_zps92dcfaa6.jpg

d1166367-e641-4714-a9ab-a1a03c39eb3d_zpsb0a0eba7.jpg

0f701bff-e33c-4b8d-9974-42cc08488441_zps3c7a2742.jpg

1b98b726-c313-4dfa-9793-9f5f887b97a3_zpsbbf4b016.jpg

8B81F20A-9650-4C2B-997E-1B23B339CD59_zps3tf9aaql.jpg

b549657c-e5a8-4cc2-8a9b-8a0549f636d4_zpsfcb71d74.jpg

HOUSE said:
trolling motor with remote control/iPilot (no GPS)

Not sure myself, but I will tell you that I-pilot IS gps. It sounds like a MK power drive if it has a remote only

In Katy, Texas about 2 months ago my dad sold my 40hp Yamaha tiller steer motor for $3000.00. He still has my 16' Lowe line that he is selling.
So it definitely depends on the area. You'd do better to seperate them if you're looking for the money. At least that's how its working here.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=365916#p365916 said:
JoshKeller » Yesterday, 23:49[/url]"]4 - 5000 around here. its basically an XPRESS boat

I would also think this would be the price range in our area.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see the year of the boat or motor listed???

In Tennessee, I bought a similarly equipped 1996 16 ft. Lowe, side console, 50 hp Johnson Electric start, tilt and trim... for just under $2,600.00 recently. It did not have as fancy a trolling motor, though. Condition, locale, time of year, maintenance, there are a lot of variables.

I'd check Boat-trader online and every adv. that I could find. Make up a list of similar boats..list the variables between those boats and the offering boat...and go from there....

Or, once you think you know what you are willing to spend...just ask him.."what is the lowest price you will take?" If the offer is in your ball park...say yes...period

Sometimes you can buy a good boat for a low price that way. And, both parties are happy. No long, drawn out negotiations necessary.

regards, richg99

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I checked Boat Trader (thanks Rich!), etc and found a wide array of 40hp boats selling from 2-6k. I spoke to the owner last night and he's asking for $3100 which sounds fair, but there's a catch - We took the boat out for a test ride and the boat drained water when we took it out of the lake, although not much.

The boat was sitting outdoors for a year and had hornets in the bilge pump outlet. I suspect one of the PVC pipes is cracked that connects either the bilge or the livewell. Not a deal breaker, but I need to make sure it's not the hull. I'm going to try filling the livewell with a bucket of water and see if it leaks. Even if it is something more sinister, I think I can fix it for a hundred bucks or so. The motor itself ran like a champ so I think it's a good boat overall and worth the risk. Thanks again for all of the advice, I think I'm going to buy it :)

-House

That's basically what I plan on buying in the spring and I have figured between 2000 and 3500. I would say that is a pretty good deal considering the trolling motor and the outboard has tilt trim which can cost a pretty penny. In addition, the trailer looks like a good trailer and the decking looks to be in good shape. Overall doesn't appear to need hardly any work aside from live well, so I would be pulling the trigger on that deal. If you don't get the deal, don't be too worried because fall tends to be the time people want to get rid of their boats so they don't have to deal with them over the winter. It can be a good time to buy.

I'm not a live well guy, but they apparently cause more leaks than any other part of a boat.

Oh yea, the live well in my boat leaked, too. A big plug inserted upwards from outside of the hull took care of that issue.

A more permanent fix will come someday, if I want to do it.

Rich

3 years ago I sold the same boat, a 16' Xpress Side console with a 40 Yamaha, Humminbird sonar, and 42 lb Motorguide trolling motor. I asked $3500 posted on an internet forum (not this one). Got a call 2 hours later and the buyer showed up the following morning with 35 $100 bills.

Wish I had asked $5000.

Pretty much same boat, mines 17ft With 40 Yamaha. 94 model for 35! Sweet rig! Both the livewell & bilge hoses leaked.l, badly! Still ran her several hours before it took on much water! Quick repair!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410976047161.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410976047161.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 671

Latest posts