Painting a boat that's already been painted.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmoconnor89

Reaction score
Finally found something in my price range and picked up a 1980 14 foot Lowe flat bottom.

Anyways, the boat is currently painted white on the bottom and I'm looking to freshen up the color a bit. I haven't got the time, patience, or $$$ to work it out as professionally as most of the modifications I see here. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for painting over existing paint, I don't need it to look perfect but don't want it to flake off immediately either.

There are a few spots that the paint has chipped to bare aluminum. We are talking half dollar sized spots at most. I was planning on pressure washing the boat first to clean it up and then sanding it a bit to rough up the existing paint, then just spraying over it. Anything different I should to to prep the few bare spots? Anybody have any experience painting over existing paint jobs, and have any suggestions for a certain type of paint?

Remember I am ballin on a budget and my biggest concerns for the boat are catching fish and not sinking, the rest are just details!

Get a power sander, invest some time on this one. Take it down, prime super thin layers allowing it to dry longer than manuf. Recommendations between coats. Do the same with paint. Pick a color that you like and is easily available and inexpensive for frequent touch ups.

If the old paint is in good condition and not flaking off sand to roughen up the surface. On the bear aluminum spots spray with a self etching primer, a light coat will do. Prime and paint, rustoleum works well.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=365890#p365890 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls » Today, 18:01[/url]"]If the old paint is in good condition and not flaking off sand to roughen up the surface. On the bear aluminum spots spray with a self etching primer, a light coat will do. Prime and paint, rustoleum works well.

^^^^^ This is what I did, just a different paint. So far, so good. ^^^^^
If you have the time, going down to bare aluminum, priming, and then painting, would probably be the best.

If you are going to hit something, it will probably be the bottom, so your nice new paint job may need some touching up sooner or later!

Latest posts