Source for Floatation Bladders?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minuteman62-64

Reaction score
Been reading up on floatation needs. I've got the original (from 1982) foam blocks under my seats and filled voids in the compartments behind the rear seat (where PO had removed foam) with pool noodles. I now realize that the pool noodles only provide about 1/2 the floatation that would be provided with foam in the same compartments. So, looking for alternatives.

Because of the way the rear compartments of my boat are constructed, the floatation has to be inserted through a 9" diameter hatch and has to be removable.

I was looking at the inflatable bladders the kayak guys use and was wondering if anyone makes more rectangular shaped bladders that would be applicable for my situation. Anybody seen anything like this? I'd need bladders that inflate to about 18"x18"x16".

Fire departments use inflatable bladders to lift vehicals. They're heavyduty, expensive, and how would you know if one defalted. I don't have a website for those, sorry. I think foam is a more permanent, reliable material.

I went through the same search trying to find flotation to put under my seats. What I ended up doing was getting some very heavy duty construction grade garbage bags and placing one at each end of a seat, the seats are about 5 feet long, and filling them with foam packaging peanuts. I took my time and made sure that I really stuffed the bags as full as I could. I then twisted and taped the bag ends to seal them. I was able to get 7 cubic feet of foam into both seats, that's about 420 lbs. of flotation.

On the question of how I'd know if a bladder became deflated, I remove the compartment port covers after every use and keep them off till next use, for venting (genesis of this issue was dry rot caused, in part, by lack of air circulation). So, I'd be able to determine if bladder became deflated just prior to each launch.

The garbage bag idea would be a way to increase the effectiveness of the pool noodles, but not sure if I could get a good seal. Hmmm. Maybe a giant zip lock bag?

Huh. Ziplock makes a 20 gallon bag, would be about 2 cubic ft., just about the size of my compartments.

Why not just go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up some Closed Cell Insulation Sheets? Cut to size and fill to your hearts content. They are great for adding/replacing floatation. As I put my new flat floor in my boat, I'll be putting the pink foam, 1 for the floatation properties, and 2 to help support the floor material.. Read thru the rebuild forum here, I think you'll find many here who have done and used the same thing.

"Why not just go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up some Closed Cell Insulation Sheets? Cut to size and fill to your hearts content."

The way the stern compartments are constructed, the floatation has to be inserted via a 9" diameter hatch. The remaining floatation (factory installed) is foam blocks under the three seats.

Mine also has the foam blocks under the benches. You can buy various thicknesses of the insulation foam to uses. You can also buy pour in foam. Mix a couple parts together then pour it in where you want it. I would think that would be the near ideal way of getting your floatation foam into your 9" hatch without cutting to bench tops off.
The important part is to make sure that it is "Closed Cell" foam. That's the kind that don't suck up all the water. Your foam blocks under your benches should be ok. Maybe a bit dirty but still usable. My boat is an old 1956 model and the blocks under my benches kept my boat afloat about a month ago when it capsized. Not to shabby for an old gal.
Go on over to Home Depot (or similar store) and check out their foam insulation. Prices aren't all that bad either.

Here's a picture of the compartments. They are on port and starboard sides, aft of the rear bench seat, under the circular hatches. When I renovated the boat I cleverly refastened the compartment tops with machine screws & nuts so I could access the area inside the compartments for future maintenance/modifications/etc. To get at the nuts I need to get my arm inside the compartments via the hatches. So, my (temporary) solution was to use pool noodles that I could install and remove, one at a time, via the access hatches. If I foam the compartments I won't be able to remove the covers or get to any of the other fastenings that are located inside. Also won't be able to check the hull underneath.

Anyways, I recognize that with the pool noodles I'm only getting about 1/2 the floatation from each compartment that I'd get if I used foam. Just looking for a way to improve the floatation and keep the current fastening/access configuration.

Attachments

• Splatter Paint2.jpg
    Splatter Paint2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 528
May be a dumb idea, but why not an inner tube like for a rear garden tractor tire? Stick it in and inflate it. I would think it would conform to the cavity size. You shouldn't have to put a lot of pressure in it.

+1 on this
[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366195#p366195 said:
gillhunter » 14 Sep 2014, 12:07[/url]"]May be a dumb idea, but why not an inner tube like for a rear garden tractor tire? Stick it in and inflate it. I would think it would conform to the cavity size. You shouldn't have to put a lot of pressure in it.

All good ideas and don't think I didn't consider them all for my issue, but I wanted to stay away from anything to do with inflation by air, it would bother me, I would have to keep checking to see if there were any leaks.

Those tanks are perfect candidates for heavy bags and foam packaging peanuts. You can get them jammed in there pretty easy, and to seal it, just twist the end of the bag a few times and duck tape it closed.

The idea of having the bag is that it will stop water from flowing between the peanuts, the same issue that you're having with your noodles. You could jam the noodles into the bags but it would be easier with smaller pieces. Shred the noodles, run the lawnmower over them. :LOL2:

Appreciate the suggestions. I'm thinking that next time I pull the compartment tops I may put foam blocks in to fill to about 2/3 full (would still leave room for arm to get in to remove nuts). Then remainder with something in plastic bags.

Latest posts