tin boat in salt water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearwhiz

Reaction score
How many of you use your aluminum boat in salt water? I fish mainly fresh water but have the urge to hit the salt again. I hear people talking about corrision problems. I have a 2009 G3 Outfitter 170. All comments and info appreciated.

I take my in saltwater once in a while, just hose it off real good. I really worry more about my motor in saltwater than I do my boat.

I put one in salt all the time... I live in south Louisiana-- most places I fish are at least brackish...It's not the boat you gotta worry about... (Unless you're grounding through the hull like they did back in the 70s... Hope no one does that anymore)

Worry about the outboard, trolling motor, wiring... I had a depth finder fry from corrosion at the power plug...

As mentioned, rinse everything off with fresh water after a salt trip and you'll be fine...

Mine stays in saltwater year round. Not sure how many others leave theirs in the SW year-round. But if so, here are a couple of tips:

Keep a good coat of the correct bottom paint on there at all times, and install a large zinc on your transom, this will combat much of the galvanic corrosion. Haul out every 2-3 months to inspect the bottom and give everything a good rinse, check lower unit lube, and other periodic maintenance.

If you're near a body of freshwater, go run it over there for a little bit. That will flush the engine, and the freshwater will kill any saltwater slime or growth attempting to grow on your hull.

That's how we do it around here.

I used my '59 Crestliner for 3 years in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and 3 years in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
all saltwater, BUT, I never left it "in" the water more than a few days at a time. always on a trailer.
and washed it well after bringing it home. I think that many many layers of paint saved it from any
serious corrosion issues. You will see some tinnys so eat up with salt that even the scrap dealer will shake his head.
Then, others seem to be pristine. so the secret must be to remove the salt BEFORE it does damage.
the secret is is to WASH WASH WASH it when you are done for the day. flush the motor good.
no problems.

As stated, keep it clean, dont ground to the hull, turn perko battery switch off, install hull zinc anodes to channel stray current away from the hull, rinse and lube the hell out of everything.

In the salty stuffy at "Crab Island" Destin Fl. Just wash everything & flush motor good... only had this boat a short time& the 40 Yamaha has a large Zinc tab by the lift. I scrape it off a bit too!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410973917346.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410973917346.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 762
I've fished salt all my life . I've yet to see an aluminum boat fall a part due to corrosion . You people crack me up . I live in the most corrosive area on the Gulf coast . Granted , you don't see the 1965 boats some of ya'll are running . I've got a 1987 Weld Craft that has never seen fresh water and other then oyster rash on the bottom and faded paint it looks like the same boat I bought. We're talking a dang aluminum boat here .

I bought a 14' tin from a guy who lived on a saltwater creek and he kept the boat moored at his dock. The boat was fine. There was no damage from sitting in saltwater. He did keep the motor in his garage when he was not using it and it was fine also. The trailer was a different story. He had no use for it so he had tossed it over his fence into the woods next to his place where it had sat for years. We had to cut it out of the vines and roots that had grown around it.

I would never leave a boat in the water . Well in the summer you have to take it out every 3 days , and in the winter you can leave it in for a week or so . It's not for corrosion purposes , but because the barrnicles grow fast and fasten hard . Let them cover the bottom and your screwed and will never get your boat on a plane till you scrape and sand them off.

Yea,the barnacles are on my Girls daddy's boat thick every couple of months!

They do make a paint to prevent bottom growth on aluminum boats, ya know. But, at 85 dollars a quart, they are proud of it.

However, DO NOT try to 'go the cheap route' and use paint that is made for a fiberglass boat. If you do, barnacles will be the least of your problem, as they won't have a hull to attach to!! Seriously, cuprous oxide paint will eat the hull up, don't use it...you're better off with no paint than to use that stuff.

On a final note, I will say that it is VERY important to keep marine growth off your hull. Once the barnacles or oysters begin to take a foothold, they leave calcium deposits on the hull. These deposits become very alkaline as they mix with salt water, and this accelerates the electrolysis process.

Latest posts