Gas can distance from Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edintampa

Reaction score
I have a 25hp 4 stroke Yamaha and want to move it perhaps more centered and not leave it in the back transom well to shift some weight towards the front. How far away from the back can I move it and still have the motor fuel pump not have any issues with pulling in the gas?

Should I leave it where it is and just move the starting battery and the TM battery to the front? There is a lot of wire bundled with nylon ties in the transom but I have not cut the ties and stretched out the wire to see how much wire I have.

I have a G3 MV 16' that I am going to start re doing soon and I am trying to get all my plans set up.

Thanks,

Ed

Distance from the motor is not the problem. The problem comes from trying to lift fuel to the height of the motor. The higher you have to lift it the more it takes to lift it. You should be fine running from the center mounted tank to the motor. Different pumps have different lift capabilities.

I have a 12/36 with a nissan 9.8 hp 4-stroke. I moved my fuel tank all the way to the front and didn't have any problems, I even had to build up the transom for a long shaft. It did even out the weight in the boat, I could probably move my battery and TM up there too.

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. I had a 15 hp 1980 Johnson I had issues with when I moved the tank towards the front. None when I moved it back to the transom on another boat.

The length of the run can make a difference sometimes.

Friction in the tubing and whatnot. You can sometimes get around a longer run (if causing problems) if you can go up a size in tubing.

As long as you're using an OEM length hose you prob won't run in to troubles.

Longer than than you'll just have to try it out to know for sure.

:)

Move mine from the back to the center of the boat in my 1456 with zero issues. Ran it along the side of the boat, not along the floor.

I run a 25 Merc & it pulls fuel 12 feet from the frt with 3/8" line.Like great white mentioned, go up in fuel line size to reduce friction.I have run various motors on this set up with no problems.

I have the same motor. Well, 2000 model if that makes any difference. The pump are the same from 98 through 2014, IIRC.

I have run with my tank as far forward as it will go, meaning about 8 feet forward. I had extended the fuel line a little to make it work, just for testing purposes. Never missed a lick. OEM EPA compatible Yamaha fuel line (the soft fuel line), and a new style 3 gal Yamaha fuel tank, FWIW.

Turbo, the one I have is a 2000 model on a 2000 G3 16' MV. I am running 3/8 hose to it currently. What boat are you running yours on and what kind of MPH are you getting?

Ed

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366387#p366387 said:
Edintampa » Yesterday, 19:16[/url]"]Turbo, the one I have is a 2000 model on a 2000 G3 16' MV. I am running 3/8 hose to it currently. What boat are you running yours on and what kind of MPH are you getting?

Ed

War Eagle 548LDV boat. With good conditions I have see close to 32 mph. Normal 29 and change. 29.4-29.6 last time on the lake. 6190 RPM. Has seen 6270 on cold winter days, but the ignition cuts spark at 6300 (rev limiter). 11" Turbo Hotshot works well. Right behind that is a factory Yamaha aluminum prop 9 7/8 dia x 11 1/4" pitch, but it is slightly slower (not much-a few tenths) at the same RPM meaning a little more slip. I think if I put a CMC PT-35 on it, it might turn a 12" and pick up a bit of speed. But I'm tickled with it as it is!

Latest posts