whats in your boat tool box ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfd100

Reaction score
what do you carry in a small tool box on your boat ?

the boat I just purchased came a small tool box -
it has a few cotter pins , a couple trailer light bulbs
a little air horn and the manual for motor

no tools-what would you carry ?

thanks kevin

1/4" ratchet, extension, and 10mm socket. Will do most any repair there is to do on a Yamaha small outboard. And also an old "tool kit" that came with my 660 Raptor when I bought it in 2004 (sold it-but it had 2 took kits, I kept one). The ratchet/socket/extension is enough to remove the carburetor from the engine, and the tool kit is enough to disassemble the carb. I use an old fish hook to pick junk out of the jets if needed. And yes I've had to do it on the water, 5.3 mi from the nearest ramp.

Only other thing I carry is a crescent wrench-which goes to about 1". Prop nut is 7/8" (22mm). Fishing plier is enough to get the cotter pin out. I carry a spare prop most of the time too "just in case" (and have never had to use it-"yet" ).

All that stuff fits in the tackle bag. Well except for the prop obviously. It normally lives in the livewell/cooler.

I carry just about everything I could possibly need to do most repairs to my Johnson 50/35 jet and the boat itself. That includes:

1/4 ratchet with various size sockets
Various size wrenches
Cresent wrench
Needle nose pliers
Wire snips
Small and large phillips and straight screwdrivers
Electrical tape
Zip ties
New spark plugs, gapped and ready to go
Spare impeller key
Spare impeller sleeve
Extra impeller shims
Spare bolts for jet foot
JB water weld (for emergency patches to the hull)
Spare fuses (every size and type that is used on my boat)
Spare key to motor control box

Nice to know that I have what I need to perform most repairs on the water. Seems like a lot, but all of this fits in a small bag that I keep in my 12" x 12" dry storage hatch and still leaves plenty of room for other things that need dry storage.

All of the above, plus a small aluminum LED flashlite and extra batteries for it, a bic lighter and small pkg of handy wipes sealed in a ziplock. We also have a small first aid kit that contains a few bandaids, ointment, a shoe string, a sewing needle and thread, aspirin, pepto chewables, tums, and a couple tooth pics. It all fits into a Rx bottle.

Shoe String? My grandmother was a nurse. She said a shoe string can tie off a bleed and save a life.

Sewing Needle & Thread? Ever pop the top button on your pants and they drive you crazy all day? Good for getting splinters out, too. And, can be used to sew a wound, until you get help.

Pepto & Tums? Well, when you get my age, you just never leave home without 'em. :wink:

Posting this again from an earlier "tools" question. Always carry basic tools with you. These tools fit in a small pouch, approx. 3x4x10 inches.
Tim Oh Yah, always a lighter, cigars and a cutter plus some beer.

regular and phillips screwdriver
regular and needlenose pliers
wire cutters / strippers
small crescent wrench
cable ties
electrical tape
extra spark plugs
tool to get spark plugs out
spare fuses
spare cotter pins (for prop), extra prop nut
cheap VOM
spare cord for pull start (doubles for using on flywheel)
spare bilge plug

Plus I carry 2 cycle oil, extra gas, flares, whistle, first aid kit, paddle, dock lines, nav lights, bug spray, sunblock, 2 anchors, extra fuel line bulb and hose clamps

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366677#p366677 said:
earl60446 » 21 Sep 2014, 10:17[/url]"]Posting this again from an earlier "tools" question. Always carry basic tools with you. These tools fit in a small pouch, approx. 3x4x10 inches.
Tim Oh Yah, always a lighter, cigars and a cutter plus some beer.

regular and phillips screwdriver
regular and needlenose pliers
wire cutters / strippers
small crescent wrench
cable ties
electrical tape
extra spark plugs
tool to get spark plugs out
spare fuses
spare cotter pins (for prop), extra prop nut
cheap VOM
spare cord for pull start (doubles for using on flywheel)
spare bilge plug

Plus I carry 2 cycle oil, extra gas, flares, whistle, first aid kit, paddle, dock lines, nav lights, bug spray, sunblock, 2 anchors, extra fuel line bulb and hose clamps

I like the beer part!!! 8)

In addition to what was already mentioned, Sandpaper for cleaning connections and spare shear pins for the trolling motor prop