Question on motor storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherm

Reaction score
I have a new jon boat and 20 HP Suzuki 4 stroke. I have it parked in the backyard with a sunbrella cover that covers the boat and the motor cowl. I have a motor stand in the garage that I can keep the motor on in the winter if needed.

Does it matter, I live in MS where the winters are mild. Is there any advantage to keeping it in the garage on a stand?

Better control over critters. Mice in the wiring can wreak havoc.

On the other hand, I would imagine the vast majority of outboard motors never spend the winter in the garage, so it certainly wouldn't kill your motor.

Good luck!

If you have the space in the garage it would always be best to keep it inside. The temperature will not fluctuate as much in the garage as it would being outdoors. The sun beaming during the day and the nights cooling off will cause condensation and after a a few months of that you will be able to tell the difference. Another thing is that there would be less insects and critters to get in where they are not supposed to be. Just my two cents worth.

Whichever way you decide to store, put some bait poison out under the boat, this could help deter critters from crawling up into the boat. It's always better to store stuff inside if all possible.

It's only a 20hp - and you already have the stand...why wouldn't you want it inside?

Latest posts