Uh oh, I've gone and done it now ....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A hardy "hi" to the group. I just wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself; I'm an overworked, underpaid, software engineer form Southern California with a passion for boating and fishing. I built a wooden skiff twelve years ago that I would regularly take off the Laguna Coast, but after seven years in my girlfriend's garage, and an onslaught of cat pee and hairballs, I thought it best to look for a new ride :D.

On a whim, I saw an aluminum boat on CL and pulled the trigger. Now keep in mind, I know NOTHING about captaining a larger boat. My wooden skiff was a cartopper, so I have never even traillered before .... needless to say, I've been spending a lot of late nights here on the forum (you guys rock!!) trying to soak up all I can.

The boat is a 1984 19' Gregor Sea Hawk (that looks to be) in good condition; it came with a 50hp Mercury 2stroke of the same year and galvanized trailer. I am planning a rebuild after I get over the shock of this thing in my driveway! One thing that has me worried is the fact that I want to use this in the ocean, and I saw the thread on salt water deterioration. I do NOT want my boat ending up like this! Any advice on the matter (coatings, care, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

On with the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_20140829_062447.jpg
    IMG_20140829_062447.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_20140829_063340.jpg
    IMG_20140829_063340.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 541
  • 20140912_162909.jpg
    20140912_162909.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 541
  • 20140912_162844.jpg
    20140912_162844.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 541
I use mine in salt also. Atlantic ocean to be exact.

After use, fresh water flush the engine well.

Then fresh water rinse the hull well.

If you get salt water in the boat flush that well also.

My boat is a 12' springbok with an 8 HP johnson. Both vintage 1989. Majority has been salt use.

Its no worse for wear because of it and my dad used to not rinse it when he had it.

I rinse after every use.

I think you are going to like that boat!
I don't know what it's called, but I bought a saltwater motor that had some type of spray on coating on the power head. There was almost no corrosion on it, and whatever was used on it seemed to do the job. Maby could ask around and see what people use to protect their motors that are used in saltwater.
Salt is definitely your enemy, try to flush or rinse as much of it from the boat and motor as possible.

Hi great white and overboard - good to hear that your boats haven't disintegrated yet ... that thread was REALLY scary! To be honest, I'm more concerned about the hull than I am the motor. The motor on my old wooden was abused with 7 years in salt every weekend, but I was diligent about flushing with fresh water after each trip ... the motor is still in good shape - gonna use it as a kicker for this boat ;-)

Sorry if I mislead you. I don't use my boat in saltwater, but know people that do. What I was referring to was a used saltwater motor that I purchased, and then used the power head from it to repair a 100hp Mariner that I had blown. There was some kind of brown tacky coating on that motor that really seemed to protect it from corrosion.

I live in San Diego. At the San Diego and Mission Bay launch ramps I see lots of aluminum skiffs, some 30+ years old (like mine), that have only known salt water. Do the rinsing as suggested and enjoy your boat.

I REALLY like that configuration of hull, console, and seating.

Nice buy.

Remember...ocean is a big place, ok?

=D>

Hey, welcome aboard. You scored a nice boat from a well-regarded manufacturer. No problem using it in salt, especially if you follow the suggestions above. If you leave it moored in salt, then extra measures become essential. And I would add that trailer maintenance takes on added importance when you launch and retrieve in salt. Have fun!
Rick

Thanks for the feedback guys - I went and actually picked up the boat today. This thing is freaking huge ... I think I may have gotten a little bit more boat thank I can handle #-o .

The guy who I bought it from said that the trailer bunks are pressure treated wood (which is no bueno, I know). Is there some way to tell pressure treated wood when it is carpeted over?

The trailer wiring will need to be redone because it took out my dad's signal lights on the way home, and the boat cover (which was on when I trailered) ripped in the wind en route home. The previous owner said "it'll be fine, I do it all the time"; apparently, it is not a good idea - live and learn. I hope that things shape up after the inauspicuous start...

I was thinking of renovating the decks and so forth, but I might have to sink several thousand into this boat to do so. In order to do things like acid wash the hull and so forth, do you have to flip the hull? I have taken more pics of what I think is corrosion .. how bad is this?

Attachments

• 20140920_103832.jpg
    20140920_103832.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 469
  • Chine corrision.jpg
    Chine corrision.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 469
  • chalky corrosion.jpg
    chalky corrosion.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 469
  • Bad near bunks corrosion.jpg
    Bad near bunks corrosion.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 469
[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366629#p366629 said:
rickybobbybend » 20 Sep 2014, 10:13[/url]"]Hey, welcome aboard. You scored a nice boat from a well-regarded manufacturer. No problem using it in salt, especially if you follow the suggestions above. If you leave it moored in salt, then extra measures become essential. And I would add that trailer maintenance takes on added importance when you launch and retrieve in salt. Have fun!
Rick

Hey Rickybobbybend - beautiful build =D> ! I enjoyed reading your deck upgrade thread and will be "borrowing" a few ideas when I attempt my rebuild.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366611#p366611 said:
minuteman62-64 » 19 Sep 2014, 21:59[/url]"]I live in San Diego. At the San Diego and Mission Bay launch ramps I see lots of aluminum skiffs, some 30+ years old (like mine), that have only known salt water. Do the rinsing as suggested and enjoy your boat.

Hey there minuteman - you and I are neighbors (Orange County - Irivine)! Just out of curiosity what kinda boat do you have, and do you have any coating on the inside or outside of your hull?