Need Help Understanding Navigation Light Requirements

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minuteman62-64

Reaction score
Now getting to the time where I'm actually spending more time using my boat than working on it. Since I might be out after dark, as shorter days approach, I'm looking at installing navigation lights.

My understanding is that for my boat, 15'-6" aluminum skiff w/outboard, I need one of those red/green lights on the bow and an "all around" white light on the stern. Previous owner had removable pole lights - a 10" long red/green one for the bow and a 24" long white one for the stern. That would work great for me, since they'd be easy to stow away.

My question is regarding how high the lights have to be. Based on my reading, the stern "all around" light has to be 1 meter (about 40") higher than the bow light. So, my boat has a high bow, 19" higher than the stern quarter where the all around light would mount. If I use a 10" pole light on the bow (as did the PO), to have the stern light 1 meter higher it needs to be 10" + 19" + 40" high?????? Does that make sense? I haven't seen any boats the size of mine motoring around with a light on a 70" high pole. I might as well put a sail on it and use it for emergency propulsion.

Am I reading the regs. correctly?

Sounds about right to me.

Here is a good link though.

https://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/content/general/4_2_b.php

I was tracking that the stern light needed to be the tallest thing in the boat (including you) so it will always be visable from 360 degrees. I cant imagine why there would be a set height but there probly is.

In the BoatUS course(free, and a good course to take) I remember 41" for the stern light(my bow light is low). I can't seem to get back into the chapters at BoatUS, however, to check this. Why can't I get back in to refresh my memory? Oh...I row, by the way, so the nav lights are not required. A lantern/flashlight is enough here in Florida, but I use cheap battery nav lights anyway.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366805#p366805 said:
ggoldy » 22 Sep 2014, 18:31[/url]"]In the BoatUS course(free, and a good course to take) I remember 41" for the stern light(my bow light is low). I can't seem to get back into the chapters at BoatUS, however, to check this. Why can't I get back in to refresh my memory? Oh...I row, by the way, so the nav lights are not required. A lantern/flashlight is enough here in Florida, but I use cheap battery nav lights anyway.
Well, I figured out how to review the BoatUS course chapter on nav lights. I can't find the 1 meter dimension anywhere. I guess I read it somewhere else. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Thanks, guys, the rationale is now making sense. Looks like the PO's original set up (24" stern pole light), circa 1982, would provide a clear 360 degree shot as long as operator was sitting. However, the stern light would be lower than the bow light and, as pointed out, ruin the operator's night vision. For sure not 1 meter higher than the bow light. Maybe different requirements in 1982?

Anyways, I'm going to look to mount the bow (navigation) lights as low as possible, but still clear the point of the bow, and get the longest folding stern light I can find that will be removable and stowable and plug into and be secure in a socket at the stern quarter.

Minuteman I would recommond a two bulb running light(one bulb shines 180deg aft one shines forward) this allows you to switch off the forward light that tends to reflect off the hull of an open boat making it difficult to see logs etc. Switch the forward light back on if another boat is approaching not completely legal but more likely that I hit a log or dead head than get mowed down by another vessel.

must be visible from all sides. the one I have is about 4' tall. I store it on the front of the rear bench with the little rubber clip in mounts.

The FWC officer I encountered second trip out with my boat, said that the 360 lamp has to be taller than the motor. Front light can be flush mount, unless you have a trolling motor that can interfere with the visual. In which case it must be elevated above the trolling motor and mount.

Latest posts