Excel 1651VSC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewater102

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? I recently came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a very nice 1971 Evindrude 50hp 2 stroke that I'd like to find a home for, something where 50hp is the max rated capacity for the boat as this appears to be among the lighter of the 50hp engines out there (187 lbs) and I should think it'll handle a 15' or 16' fairly well. I'm picking it up tomorrow, so I'm not certain whether it's a long or short shaft motor just yet, but based on the picture I imagine it's a long shaft.

QFxND6xl.jpg

I'm hoping to keep the dry boat weight under 600lbs so that after the gas and electric motors/batteries/gasoline etc are installed the total boat weight is ~1000lbs so I can still tow it without an issue with a Subaru. Excel's longitudinal ribs and welded floor are exactly the way I would design a boat if I were to build one from the ground up, and the chimed hull is just really cool. I'm not one for ever buying anything new, but on paper these boats are tempting. Does anyone have any experience with them - are there any quality issues with them? I don't want to get into something paying retail prices and find shoddy welds five years down the line.

The HULL weight (without the motors, batteries, etc) is already over 600 lbs, IIRC. Excel makes a GOOD boat; but lightweight they are not!

Yeah - I was willing to over look that on this boat because its so well designed.

Definitely a long-shaft motor btw...came with everything incl. the helm to install it - now it just needs a host.

**** - spoke with an Excel rep yesterday - the 1651 went out of production two years ago - so if anyone encounters one for sale anywhere in the country please let me know. It would seem its a needle in a haystack search from here out.

Latest posts