Need opinion about being charged diagnostic fee for warranty

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott06z71

Reaction score
I have a Tracker Topper 15 that I bought back in March. I took it to Bass Proshops where I bought the boat. They told me that I owe $63 diagnostic fee. I told them this should be covered under warranty. They said if it needed parts it would have been covered but I still have to pay the diagnostic fee. I don't agree with that. If you take your car to the dealer under warranty they don't charge you diag fee. Has anybody else run into this?

Might be in the fine print of you warranty. A good warranty will cover any parts and labor for a warranty covered issue. I probably would have told him go kick rocks.

What did you bring it in for? What was the diagnosis? And have you contacted Tracker and asked them about the warranty?

Was the issue you have/had with the hull or the motor shown in your signature? If with the motor call Merc and see what they say about diagnostic fees. Dealers and service techs are looking to make every dime they can, and will say anything to get some extra $$, well, not all are that way but a lot or most are.

A few months ago an authorized Merc dealer/repair shop told me that the "fuel delivery system" on my 6 month old 5hp 4s was not covered by the warranty as they have no way of knowing what quality of gas the consumer/owner uses (cold start issues). I asked to see that part of the warranty in writing, and they fixed it after talking to the factory rep. They did not really want to work on it since I did not buy from them, but they did and they fixed it where it will start in 5 pulls or less on most days.

I took it in for a couple of things. Inner seal on trailer leaking grease, hull leaking. The seal was good just had too much grease in it from factory so it is fine now, they did not find a leak in the hull but did find that water was spraying in over the transom from transducer. They filled the boat with water in leak found and water tested it twice. Told me since no manufacturer defect was found the charged me diagnostic fee. I just bought the boat in March brand new. When you take your new truck to dealer for warranty work they don't charge a diagnostic fee. The warranty paper work on the hull or trailer doesn't say anything about a diagnostic fee. I paid it and also told them that all labor including diagnostic fee should be covered by warranty. It's done now but I'm going to research this with Tracker in case I have to take it back for anything.

Research it and if the fee is not warranted file a small claims suit.
More than likely they wont even show up for the case and you will win by default (money and filling fee). Plus, you may help someone further down the road.

I got burned with this too. Took it to a mercury dealer. They checked it over, ran it in a tank, ran it on the water. "Well we didn't find anything. " $350 please. I called mercury about that and they said if they find nothing you have to pay the hourly labor fee. If they find something covered under warranty they will pay. Yeah, another reason I dont like my motor. Mysteriously when I got home, drove 2 hours to the mercury dealer that was a warranty certified place. Noticed the carb and intake had been removed.... but yet they didn't do anyt hi ing.

Latest posts