Interior paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdaniels

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Lots of good info here. I did a search to find out some info on painting the interior of my boat but I have a question. I have a 14' gregor and I am planing on redoing the interior. My question is on what type of finish to use. I am thinking I want either a flat paint or maybe a satin/semi gloss finish. My concern is with the semi gloss I am wondering about heat and reflection from the sun on hot days. do any of you have experience or thoughts on this? I think the semi gloss would look nicer but I am not sure that this is the way to go. I am finding that there are not too many choices in paint when it comes to flat finishes. I would appreciate any suggestions or thought if anyone has any. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry. There will be a layer of dust on it which will constantly regenerate, no matter how often you clean it up. :)

I use Implement Paint....which is what farmers use to repaint or touch up their equipment. It goes on heavy and smooth, is UV resistant, and comes in some basic colors which coordinate fairly well.

I used a semi-gloss from Frazee, called "Aro-Plate II." Was going to use Rustoleum, but they didn't have a good color match to existing paint. No issue with glare, although the splatter top-coat may diffuse it somewhat.

See photo.

Attachments

• Installed Bow Deck.JPG
    Installed Bow Deck.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,039
That looks great. Not much info online on Frazee. Where did you purchase it? Is that spatter topcoat part of the Aro-Plate II or was that something you added? Thanks for the response.

Frazee is a Southwest brand - looks like a branch of Sherwin-Williams. Not sure how far their stores extend. - also not sure if that's a paint they make or one they put their label on.

The splatter was a top coat I applied using Rustoleum oil based paint in white, brown and black. Tried to match the original paint job that you can see on the insides if the hull.

+1 on the implement paint. I just started to restore an old ride-on that's been sitting in my yard. I started with the hood and took it down to bare metal. I ended up using Majic Truck, Tractor, and Implement oil based enamel spray paint. It went on smooth and provided good coverage.
I've used the Valspar tractor paint in the past as well and liked it a lot but Tractor Supply stopped carrying it for some reason. The tractor paint is no more expensive than regular spray paint - I think it was 5.50 a can.

2 coats on the hood:
IMAG2520.jpg

minuteman62-64 said:
I used a semi-gloss from Frazee, called "Aro-Plate II." Was going to use Rustoleum, but they didn't have a good color match to existing paint. No issue with glare, although the splatter top-coat may diffuse it somewhat.

See photo.

minuteman62-64,
How did you get the effect with the white paint ? What method did you use ? If mine turns out half that good I'd be thrilled.

FishyBC said:
minuteman62-64 said:

See photo.

minuteman62-64,
How did you get the effect with the white paint ? What method did you use ? If mine turns out half that good I'd be thrilled.

Here's a better shot at the splatter effect. I diluted Rustoleum oil based gloss paint 50-50 with mineral spirits, in light brown, black and white, dipped a chip brush in it and lightly rapped the brush handle against a stick. Took a few tries to get the right combo of amount to dip, how close to surface to hold stick and how hard to rap to get the desired effect. I did black first, then brown then white because that seemed to match the existing interior best.

Attachments

• Splatter Paint1.jpg
    Splatter Paint1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 848
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I posted this but I just wanted to give an update on what I ended up doing. I painted the interior with SM-527 Camo-Coat Camouflage Paint using SM-630 Pro-Tex (Non-skid Additive) that I ordered off the supermarinepaint.com website. It turned out very nice. Has a light sheen to it and a nice texture. Very happy with the quality of the product. I would definitely use this product again. Here are a few pics.
IMG_2947.jpg
IMG_2949.jpg
IMG_2953.jpg
IMG_2954.jpg
IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2973.jpg

The original paint was still very solid. I pressured washed it, and cleaned it out with soap and water. Wiped it down with paint prep cleaner degreaser and sanded it with an orbital sander. Wiped it down again and sprayed any bare areas with etching primer. Used a spray gun to shoot on the new finish.
IMG_2854.jpg

Latest posts