Removing thru-hull drain tubes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nismoron

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on removing thru-hull drain tubes from an aluminum boat?

I have two drain tubes in the splashwell of my Starcraft Mariner. I need to pull the splashwell to do a transom job. The wood core is sandwiched between the outer skin and the well. So, I have to remove the drain tubes to get them apart and get at the wood. I have it all de-riveted, but the drain tubes are still holding it in place.

I tried a SawsAll with a long blade between the splash well and transom but it didn't work. I ended up with a chisel and hammer. It was ugly - really ugly - but I managed to get the inside flange at a point where I could push the whole thing out the back.

10-4
That is what I was afraid of. I may try to put a cutting disk on my dremel and see if I can cut the flange off from inside the tube. Then I can maybe hammer the two pieces out from the opposite sides...

they are swaged (expanded) in place so the easiest way to get them out is to crush them back down a bit so they fit back through the hole

to do that, stick a sawzall through the drain and make a few slices from the inside almost through the wall of the drain tube to the rest of the transom. then crush the tube down with a pair of channel locks and slide it out. simple and should leave the hole undamaged so you can just swage a new one in place when you are done.

Latest posts