Boat Gas??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bird35

Reaction score
I bought about 8 gallons of gas in June for my 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke. I used ethonol free gas and used stabil for good measure. I always run the gas out of the engine when I finish a trip. I am going fishing this weekend and I have about two gallons left. Should I throw the old gas out and buy new or mix the old and new or is it just ok to use the old gas I have?

Three to four months is not that long for gas to sit, especially ethanol free gas. It should be fine as long as there is no water in it. Ethanol free gas will not attract water like ethanol treated gas would. Ethanol and water are kind of like a magnet to each other.

3 or 4 months?

Lucky to get 3-4 WEEKS out of today's gasoline.

Get a jar, put a quart of gas in it, leave the lid off and let it sit out for a few hours on a warm day. In a couple hours about 40% of the fuel would have evaporated. Non ethanol or E10 doesn't matter, it does the same thing. As the fuel evaporates, it cools. As it cools, water condenses. It'll get cloudy and then in time the moisture settles to the bottom.

Have tried different stabilizers, but none of them have impressed me. Still evaporates quickly, which leaves behind the sour fuel.

As long as it is ethanol free & treated with stabil it will be just fine. We filled up our generator/welder with e free gas & treated it with stabil; it was a good two years later when we cranked it & used it on my boat trailer, nothing wrong with it. But it never hurts to run the motor on it in a barrel or on muffs to just check & see.

Latest posts