Possible winter project...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one oar

Reaction score
First post, hopefully I've come to the right place for some advise.

I've been looking for a cheap boat to turn into a fishing boat for the back bays and rivers here, so far all I find are either well out of my budget or too small. I'm a big man, over 350lbs at 6ft 2in tall.
I figure I need at least a 16' aluminum boat with no less than a 15hp motor.

About a year ago I was given a good used 14' boat with no paperwork, after 12 months of jumping though hoops to get a title here I gave up, I'll use the motor and trailer on another boat.

I found this listed about a hour from me, https://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/4699663431.html
Its cheap, its the right size, but its a bench seat model. I'd be looking at modifying the inside by splitting at least two of the bench seats or removing them and adding a pair of rod boxes. (Which isn't too big a deal because I was going to do the same to the 14' boat anyhow).
What bothers me is that its been for sale for over a month, I can't believe any aluminum boat priced under a grand would sit this long for sale. Is there something wrong with this model hull that I don't know about?
I listed the Sears 14' boat I had without any paperwork on CL for $750 OBO and sold it an hour later for $600 to the first guy who showed up. It wasn't anywhere near as nice as the 16' boat shown, nor was it as deep.

Is there something wrong with Starcraft? They seem few and far between around here, the most common brand by far is Tracker, but most of those I've seen were either bent or cracked. I emailed the seller and he said he bought it for its motor and trailer. Its got current registration on it, the hull looks fine, even the transom wood is in good shape.

I priced new hulls too, but the best deal I could find was near $3K for a bare hull and it wasn't as deep as the one on CL.

Basically I want a beat around boat for crabbing and flounder fishing, and for something that won't get used but a few weekends each year, I don't want to spend a ton of cash on it. The trailer I've got is like new, as is the motor, all I need is a hull with a title.

I'd at least go look at it. Nothing wrong with StarCraft. It's possible it sold, and wasn't removed from the listing.

I emailed the seller today, he said so far only two people have actually looked at the boat, the last one left a deposit but never came back. He said he's had a bunch or emails or offers for trades but no cash.
He said the worst part about the boat is that someone had a console in it at some point so there's a few extra holes along the one side where the console was attached. Those holes are filled with SS bolts right now. I've actually got a spare console that would work so the half dozen holes along the one gunwale won't be a big deal, chances are they'll get used anyhow. The seller also said he's got a trailer for the boat that fits it but doesn't have any paperwork for the trailer, which is not a problem here, I've never had any paperwork for any small trailer. He said he'd include the trailer for the asking price. The trailer pictured isn't for sale, but its too short anyhow.

I have off next Monday and Tuesday so I'll give him a call and go try and make a deal.
I did look at another similar boat after work today but the seller wouldn't budge off of $1,500 for an older boat with a ton of dents. I think I'd rather deal with leaks or missing rivets vs. dents, its easy to bang in a few new rivets but dents in an aluminum hull are forever.

That's pretty much what's so great about aluminum boats, they're easy to fix and just about anything can be fixed with a welder, a pack of rivets, or the right sealer.
For me, Alumaweld sticks and Gluvit has kept many of my boats on the water for years.
The beauty of a metal boat is that no matter what's wrong, it can always be welded, patched, or sealed.

Well, I spoke too soon, the seller took the ad down today, so I guess whomever left the deposit bought the boat.

I have a line on another boat, this one is free, but it belongs to a gentleman whom has been incapacitated by a stroke in his 90's, his wife just wants it out of the garage ASAP, but they can't find a title and couldn't be bothered with going to get a duplicate. I checked and the DMV won't print a duplicate for anyone but the owner or someone with power of attorney, which is his wife. I can fully understand her not having time or interest in going to the DMV for a title, but according to the DMV and state police, she or him are the only persons who can. The boat is 10 years old and like brand new, with a Honda 20hp and a minty clean Load Rite galvanized trailer. I'll be taking the boat either way, even if just for the motor and trailer, but having to junk a minty clean boat will be a shame.

Latest posts