Disposing of a boat in Texas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_boodah

Reaction score
Can I just take my aluminum boat with out a title to the scrap yard? Does it need a title, that was transferred to me and all that legal jazz, or can I just take it in and scrap it?

I believe you have to have a title here in Texas. But you could always cut it up with a reciprocating saw as a last resort if they wont take it without a title. There is that kind of grey area between boats used on private water & those registered with a title for public water use. Call the local recycling center ahead of time so you wont have to waste your time & gas. But why the disposal? Damaged beyond repair?

ccm said:
I believe you have to have a title here in Texas. But you could always cut it up with a reciprocating saw as a last resort if they wont take it without a title. There is that kind of grey area between boats used on private water & those registered with a title for public water use. Call the local recycling center ahead of time so you wont have to waste your time & gas. But why the disposal? Damaged beyond repair?

He's telling you right. However, I'm wondering the same thing.....Why the disposal? Surely someone on here would be interested in buying it, or knows someone that wants one to restore.

I'm curious as well.. Is it that far gone?? I have one laying I my yard right now that most would say scrap it but I'm gonna bring it back to life and make a float boat out of it...

I don't have any paperwork on it but I just need something light to drift down the shallow rivers and troll motor around in ponds/pits...

I'd like to see what you have.. I need some parts and could just be by some weird coincidence you have the same kinda boat...

Bring on the pics.. I didn't have a title on mine when I got it. Only a hand written bill of sale. Went to the dmv and walked out with a title, but had to also have a FREE Hull inspection on it. Once that was done I was legal to go. Since then they've sent me the Registration card and the state decal. Registered to 2017 for $25 here in Georgia..

Texas requires a game warden inspection, $125, plus registration and title fees. All in all, about $175. It's a bit of a hassle, but was worth it to me. :)

Wonder if he's going to answer his post?

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Texas requires a game warden inspection, $125, plus registration and title fees. All in all, about $175. It's a bit of a hassle, but was worth it to me. :)

In Victoria the GW inspection is $25. Yoj must have totaled up all the fees?

smackdaddy53 said:
TexasLoneStar56 said:

In Victoria the GW inspection is $25. Yoj must have totaled up all the fees?

I did. However, my bad, typo. :oops: Should have been $25 (not $125). It did cost me about $175 for the boat and to register the trailer at TXDPS. Sorry for my error, and thank you for catching it. :)
Less than 16' $32
16' to 26' $53
Transfer of ownership $11
Reg # $22
Cert of title $27 (boat or motor)
Sales Tax (6.25%)
GW inspect $25
Ownership history request $11

Remove all foam - wash down to remove any contaminants.

put some cinder blocks in it and with another boat, tow it out into the middle of a lake and sink it.

bingo - bango - artificial reef for more FISH habitat !!!

win-win . . . . you get rid of your boat, the fish have a new home.

They don't care out here. They make you fill out paperwork saying where you got the boat from and how you got it (address, DL number, fingerprint) but nothing more. But I'm not in Texas.

Latest posts