Help Running cables to the back

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootzu

Reaction score
I just purchased a new boat but need to find out how to run my trolling motor cables to the back where the battery resides. I opened up the front panel but am unable to get any cables to the back because of the foam underneath. Does anyone know anyway of doing it? I would really appreciate it.

4c7454cf-c740-410a-99c5-423dcc1f8536.jpg

21462249-10cd-4688-9ee5-35c54703d1d3.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

NICE BOAT: Welcome to the site.
PVC pipe underneath the TRAC? That's where I routed mine.
Once you have the PVC in place, you could also zip tie heavier wires along it.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,664
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,664
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,661
Thanks and good idea. What kind of bolt did you use for that track? I may do something similar to hold my fish finder and stuff

It's a Tracker GRIZZLEY, and 1/4" stainless steel carriage bolts worked in the trac.
They may work in the trac that you have. If they don't, ask on the site what others used. I've seen it posted that toilet flange bolts were also used by some.
By using the TRAC, and homemade aluminum brackets, you should be able to mount almost anything without drilling holes.
I also made a short subfloor by using 2 pcs. of 1/8" aluminum, with bracing and stops so it couldn't slide back, and fitting it into the trac, to mount a deckhand 40.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,627
i used PVC conduit and galvanzed conduit clips. just make sure you use a large enough size conduit to accomodate the wire........ dont ask how i know. :)

Hey OB that's a neat & clean set-up using PVC to run your lines thru =D> .

Wish I could have done that with my current project of extending the main electrical harness, steering hydraulic lines and shift cables due to moving the console forward.

What I had to do was to remove the decking and cut out foam to get access to the wires. What I'll do is to use 2" PVC and run the lines thru for protection. Thanks for your tip.

410233072.jpg

I was running two batteries one up front and one in the back. then I removed the rear battery to move some weight forward. now I have one battery up front for everything.

If you pull any wires, remember to pull an extra length of heavy cord. Leave that in place. When you discover you need some other gadget, you can use the extra cord to pull another set of wires. Pull an extra cord every time you pull any wires.

richg99

I know it's been a while but what do you guys suggest for installing the pvc pipe to the side of the boat? I have seen the galvanized bracket at home depot but it's not going to work unless I drill to the outside of the boat. I need to find a way to attach it underneath the track with something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6349.jpg
    IMG_6349.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,331
  • IMG_6348.jpg
    IMG_6348.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,331
Not sure if this would work for you, but they make electrical zip ties with molded-in screw holes. Perhaps you can screw the zip ties into your top rail (from the underside) and then zip your conduit up to them.

3b1189bb-4a9c-4d60-abbf-f37a243e4074_400.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431266333.581718.jpg

I'm also thinking of using the oar holder but does anyone know what kind of screws or bolt are design for this track system, I have already lost a fishing pole because my oar holder popped out of the trac

I think that if it were mine and I couldn't come up with some sort of clamp to hold the PVC, I'd run a bead of 3M 5200 down one side of the PVC. Then position the PVC under the rail so the 5200 makes contact with the side of the boat. Then clamp it in position until the 5200 cures (make take a few days). Once it's dry I don't think it's gonna move until you tear it out.

Latest posts