Steering cable

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriecrappie33

Reaction score
Hello all, im looking for advice when it comes to steering cables. I need to replace the steering cable on my 16ft deep V (60hp mariner).
I use this boat for duck hunting in very cold weather, as of right now the steering gets very stiff. What type of steering cabel system should i be looking for??? i was looking at the teleflex (Rack) but the box said recommended for boats with power steering. Is this really just a recommendation? What would be the difference or advantages for example rack vs rotary???

Rack systems are usually for larger HP engines and most are twin cable set ups. I had a 20 ft Cajun w/ a 200 hp merc which had this set up and it was not power steering. A 17 ft Lowe I had ,had the single cable with the rotary steering. That had a 88 SPL motor.
A rack and pinon will take up more room under the console that a rotary. If you switched you would have to change the steering wheel and everything attached under the console.
Usually what happends is the cable gets gauled up where it goes through the front of the bracket at the motor. I pulled the cable out and cleaned it well as the bracket where it goes through. That lasted for a summer. Most get stiff from non-use.
Replacing the cable would be the easiest as opposed the switching the whole system. hope this helps
steer.jpg

My new SeaStar (Teleflex) Rotary Quick Connect system also stated for P/S systems but they usually state this because they want you to get the No-Feedback system for the outboards. Outboards try to turn on their own when in gear do to the prop displacing the water as it turns and pushing the motor in the opposite direction. I did not get the No-Feedback system and have yet to have it turn the steering wheel on its own while in gear. Some will some wont but it will work just fine. As mentioned above, it does take more room under the console to use a rack setup.

Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it! I ended up tearing out the whole console and im going to make a new one with the rotary steering.

Clean and lube first. It's part of normal servicing honestly. If that doesn't do it, maybe a cable will; and sometimes replacing the cable by itself isn't much different (cost wise) than the entire assembly with a new steering wheel. Ran into that with my old Tidecrap. I mean Tidecraft. I went with Rack & pinion style, no PS, and initially had a little torque. Solved that with (1) adjusting motor height and (2) a torque tab. I like a little feedback in the steering, I hate the no-feedback systems but that seems to be the way things have been going.

Latest posts