T-Post or Painters Extension Handle Shallow Water Anchor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txboomer

Reaction score
I have a 12ft Lowe V-Hull with two loading handles on the transom. I was thinking about running a 7ft T-Post or a painting extension handle through the hand holds. I feel the T-Post would be more solid but would add additional weight. The paint handle can be extended more but loses rigidity but is lighter and easier to store. Im sure these work great in soft bottoms but has anyone used them with rocky bottoms. Has anyone used either of these techniques, if so how were they fabricated?

I would go with the T-post the extension handle would most likely fail as you mentioned. The T-Post should work on harder bottoms. The other things you may want to consider is wind and current.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking. I will experiment with it this weekend and provide my findings w/ pictures (if able) on Monday. I plan on trying a couple of different locations. I will use the handles on the transom and a I-bolt w/carabiner in the oarlock and then lastly I will use a carabiner combination with the bow eye.

FISH-ON!

I used a 12' section of 1 or 2" schedule 80 PVC conduit for a cheap push pole/ anchor. Glued a "T" fitting on one end for the push side, and cut a 45" edge on the other to help embed it into the sandy bottom. I slide it down a 6" section of 2" pipe that I bolted to the transom to give it a good rigid connection when anchoring. If it is too flexible for you then try inserting rigid EMT conduit or other pipe inside and gluing it in.

I use a pipe probe (used to search for underground pipes) in shallow water (2' +/-) and to tie up on sand bars. It's only about 4-5' long, but it works great. Not real heavy, and stores pretty easy.

Latest posts