Multiple trolling motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killintime

Reaction score
Hey all. I have an extra trolling motor just sitting around and was thinking about mounting it to the transom next to my outboard. I have a foot controlled bow mount up front already, but was thinking it never hurts to have a back up, and if my outboard ever broke down on me it would help get me back home. Just wondering what is y'alls thoughts on this. Has anyone ever done this? Are there any other positives or negetives I should look out for? Thanks for the help.

Are you planning on using them both at the same time? If so, as I understand it, have the transom mount just going forward then do your steering with the bow mount motor. I believe it is supposed to be more responsive that way. I've never tried it as I only have one TM but I'm sure there are those on here that may have..

I have two - one front and one rear - here are a few pics on how they are set up. I use the rear one for slow trolling.

Attachments

• DSC00814.JPG
    DSC00814.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC00079.JPG
    DSC00079.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_2920.JPG
    IMG_2920.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 493
Yeah I was thinking I could use it for trolling and also the person in tge back would be able to help out like when retrieving hung lures, and that type stuff. Fool4fish, I was thinking about setting it up like yours. Does it get in the way at full turn?

I run two and three sometimes - especially in electric only lakes

Dedicated batter for each

I peg my big bow motor and steer from the rear - I like to sit at the console

killintime said:
Yeah I was thinking I could use it for trolling and also the person in tge back would be able to help out like when retrieving hung lures, and that type stuff. Fool4fish, I was thinking about setting it up like yours. Does it get in the way at full turn?

No it does not get in the way

I have two electrics (bow mount and transom mount) along with a 9.9 Johnson on my 14' tin for two main reasons.

First, since I use a tiller control on my 9.9, I find it easier to deploy the transom electric at those times when I just need to do a quick position correction while anchored. I only climb to the front of the boat and drop the bow mount when I plan to use it for an extended time.

The second reason is for backup purposes. Should my gas engine fail, and if there is a good wind coming out of the direction of the ramp, which could be as far as 7 miles away, I will need both electric motors and both batteries to make it back.

But primarily, it is all about convenience for me. I do not have to leave my seat to deploy the transom mount. But I still like using the bow mount for up-close and personal fishing techniques when necessary.

So yeah, multiple is good.