how to go about getting a new capacity plate?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Delaware Fisher

Reaction score
Anyone know how i can go about getting a new capacities plate and such for a Grumman 1649? I guess the previous owner sold the console and he said he didn't think about taking the capacities plate off of it. Is there a website to go to or something?

I just found a number to call for Grumman. Gonna give em a call in the morning and see if they can at least let me know my max capacities and I will go threw the PFBC and see if they can make me one up. What did it cost ya if you don't mind me asking.

A guy I know bought a War Eagle boat, just the boat, and was "surprised" to find out that it was "only" rated at 150 hp. He had a 200 from another boat and wanted to use it. Apparently he made a couple phone calls and had a cap plate made with the 200hp rating on it so he could use it. I don't know who he called. I didn't ask.

https://garzonstudio.com/boat/capacity-decal.html

This is where I got mine. I still had the original that I could still kinda read so I was able to get all the proper info on the new one.

PA Delaware Fisher said:
I just found a number to call for Grumman. Gonna give em a call in the morning and see if they can at least let me know my max capacities and I will go threw the PFBC and see if they can make me one up. What did it cost ya if you don't mind me asking.
About four years ago, it was $5.00 from the PFBC. Tracker wanted $75.00 for a replacement, but did come through with a free one after a little squawking. The boat was only a few yrs. old and the capacity sticker was literally falling apart. The one I got from the PFBC is stamped on a metal plate.

Well Grumman was pretty useless. Was sent to two answering machines... Does anyone happen to know the capacities for a 1994 Grumman 1649B? It might be called a Grumman Renegade 1649B if I'm not mistaking.

PA fish and boat commission will issue you one, all you need is the length of the boat and the beam. There should be a form that you have to fill out and submit to them..I did it years ago before the internet age. I'll look around and see if I can post a link

Shoulda checked first before posting, found this..hope it helps.

https://www.fishandboat.com/images/pages/forms/capacity_plate_instructions.pdf

Thanks bud! I just wanted it for my own record. I dont know my max capacities for my boat. I dont know if it can take a 50hp outboard or a 100hp thats mainly what im looking for.

heres another link that might help if you know what year and model it is

https://boatspecs.iboats.com/Grumman_by_OMC/bp/20br1210

Citing the links forumla for a helm steering A 16-foot long boat that is 5 feet,10 inches wide at the transom would be ((16' x 5.83') x 2)–90 = (93.28x2)–90 = (186.56)-90 = 97 horsepower engine. The horsepower may be raised to the next multiple of five which would be 100 horsepower.

For my 19.4' x 7' Bayrunner it computes be rated at 185hp while the mfg cites the max at 90hp.

I think that formula is based for fiberglass boats and not for Tins.

Thanks for taking the time to research for me. I found the iboats info aswell but it says its rated for 60 hp but i think it would hold larger. Maybe you will know the answer to this. If it says it can take a 50hp. Does that mean i can only put a 50/35 on it or will it handle a 75/50?

Latest posts