Optimal Deck height

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been spending hours on this forum and have actually gone through all 290 some pages of this board! I've gotten a lot of great ideas, but still have some questions about decking my boat.

She is a ~19' Gregor semi-v that is going to be used mainly in the ocean for fishing. I'd like to attempt the journey to Catalina at some point (approx 22 miles off-shore), so safety and stability are a concern for me.

Layout 1) I could leave the layout as-is, but after flotation, it leaves precious little room for storage. Also, the center seat is really a pain to get around. I am drawn towards the Starcraft type layouts, with an open sunken middle area.

Layout 2) I am tempted to place a one-piece deck at the height of the seats, but am concerned that it may raise the center of gravity to high for safe ocean use.

Layout 3) I've also seen some layouts with side-boxes for storage. This is also appealing, because it might be a good place to mount accessories and a grab rail.

Layout 4) Something else?

Which do you think will serve me best?

Attachments

• Layout3.jpg
    Layout3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 714
  • Layout2.jpg
    Layout2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 714
  • Layout1.jpg
    Layout1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 714
  • 20141026_151814.jpg
    20141026_151814.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 714
One more layout - full deck with rear side storage.

Also - I've included some side views with a 5'11" guy to see the relative height with different height decking. My gut feels like the seat-top decking may be too unstable (too bad!) - but it would give me oodles of storage and floatation.

Attachments

• SeatTopDecking.jpg
    SeatTopDecking.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 709
  • ChineDecking.jpg
    ChineDecking.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 709
  • Layout4.jpg
    Layout4.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 709
I would raise the area between the front deck and the console and leave the area between the console and rear deck as is. This will allow you to operate your boat comfortably and safely while giving you more room for storage and floatation.

Another option I see is to raise the front deck area even higher after filling in the above mentioned area with a deck height about 6" below the top of the gunwales giving you even more room for floatation:

How much floatation do you think you'll need and what type do you plan to use?

jigngrub said:
I would raise the area between the front deck and the console and leave the area between the console and rear deck as is. This will allow you to operate your boat comfortably and safely while giving you more room for storage and floatation.

Another option I see is to raise the front deck area even higher after filling in the above mentioned area with a deck height about 6" below the top of the gunwales giving you even more room for floatation:

How much floatation do you think you'll need and what type do you plan to use?

I want about 20cubic feet (approx 1200lbs) floatation, because I am going to be venturing offshore. I will most likely use closed-cell extruded polystyrene, elevated an inch or so off the bilge to prevent waterlogging and allow water drainage.

I'm not opposed to pouring flotation foam, but it seems more trouble than it's worth because it will fill every crevice in sight. To leave space in the bilge for water flow would require some sort of fancy faux-floor so the pour in foam doesn't cover the bilge bottom. Foam sheets can be elevated on plastic risers.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
I like option 3 and add a rail to the bow. I wouldn't fish from the front deck on that boat 22 miles offshore.

Amen to that. I don't think my butt would ever leave the front deck offshore ... not without a towering guard rail all around. I am partial to layout 3 as well, because it will involve the least (no) structural modification.

However, the center console being mounted on the center thwart is a PITA. The fuel tanks are stored under the center thwart, but stepping over it to go between the back and front section of the boat is a tripping hazard. Unfortunately, I think removing the center thwart may weaken the boat. Having taken the boat to a plane on the Pacific Ocean and nearly pounding the life out of myself, I think the boat needs all its structural integrity in place!

Sketychy!?? Ehhhh ... what is this, gang up on the 19' Gregor day? :lol:

Smaller boats have made it to Catalina, I guarantee. This is also not a skinny water hull design, it is a Pacific Power Dowry; it's pretty seaworthy.

That being said, I would never venture out without a VHF radio, Epirb, buddy boat, and weather check on the day of.

I have been in all kinds of seas in my 16' tin. It is plenty safe if you watch weather/sea conditions and make sure you have all the proper safety equipment.

Not ganging up. Just giving honest opinion. Been off shore in the Atlantic in a 22 ft and it was a hell of a ride in 2 ft seas. Your boat and you know what it's capable of.

My $.02 worth. I like the idea of floor covering foam insulation maybe an inch or so above the bilge area. Then add your bench high decks fore and aft leaving the center section open. What would be the possibility of moving the consul to the side? Making it easier to get past it.
There is some great fishing in the waters off Catalina. Been there, done that. Keep a real close eye on the weather though. The swells you can get between Huntington Beach & Catalina can and do get brutal.
Good luck on what ever you decide on.

Y_J said:
My $.02 worth. I like the idea of floor covering foam insulation maybe an inch or so above the bilge area. Then add your bench high decks fore and aft leaving the center section open. What would be the possibility of moving the consul to the side? Making it easier to get past it.
There is some great fishing in the waters off Catalina. Been there, done that. Keep a real close eye on the weather though. The swells you can get between Huntington Beach & Catalina can and do get brutal.
Good luck on what ever you decide on.

Thanks YJ, your feedback helps me decide on layout #3; I think that might be the safest too.

I'm sure it would be possible to move the center console over, but it's the middle seat that's the real problem - you gotta step over that to get to the front of the boat. Moving the center console seems like it would be difficult too, because I'd have to reroute the remote steering cables.

Catalina is my holy grail; I've been fishing there in Cattle Boats, but fishing there in my own boat would be awesome. I'll heed your warning re: weather and swells... I've been boating on the ocean for the last fifteen years, but I've never ventured more than a mile or so off shore. The ocean is a mistress not to be messed with ;-)

I've never been to or in the Pacific, but here on the East coast, the weather/sea can go from fine and calm to rough and dangerous in less than 1/2 hr. I've been amazed by how fast the sea can change a few times. Haze/low clouds in the summer can hide storms/squalls from view until they are ontop of you and it's to late to outrun them. Often a sudden wind/darkening of the sky or thunder is the warning that comes too late. A 50' boat will be tossed and a small boat can be reduced to speeds that will barely make any headway towards shore and safety. I feel safer offshore in a fiberglass deep V at least 23' that can scoot 40 or better and trying to outrun bad weather. Without radar we always watched out for the big boats heading in early and listened to the VHF for storm reports, if 2 or more charterboats were seen hauling azz west in the early afternoon, we did too no matter how well the fish were biting.

Latest posts