Jon Boat measurement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattfl467

Reaction score
I picked up a well used flat bottom jon boat, looks like an 80's model Lowe Little Jon, Tag says 10' . When I broke out the tape measure the boat had an overall length of 11'9. Is there a certain way they measure jon boats? Do they measure hull length or from the top? Probably a dumb question, just been wondering and hoping someone can school me. Thanks, Matt

Seems to be rather random to me. When I was getting a tarp to use as a cover I measured my Tracker Sportsman 16' and it measured 15' 9" or something like that. I just remember it being less than 16'.

Yeah I could see them rounding up and calling a 9' 7" boat a 10', but the tag on my boat says little jon 10' and the boat measures almost 2' longer than that...just struck me as odd. Not sure what they were doing in the 80's, maybe I have the Stevie Wonder model :?

richg99 said:
I'd have to wonder if the tag had been changed out.
Yeah it must have been the HIN ends in 12LJ, I am assuming that means 12' Little Jon. The inside tag says 10' little jon but 12' is 12'

Sounds like it to me too, the tag has been changed like Rich said. Different states have different requirements. Maybe it didn't have to be registered if 10 ft or below, or some thing like that..my jon didn't have a tag or a HIN/VIN number... Was told it was a pre1970's and they didn't come with one.

Latest posts