Oar Size For Jon Boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattfl467

Reaction score
My 12 foot Jon boat measure approx 48" across at point where oars mount up, I have seen alot of varying formulas to determine oar size. What is everyone else with a 48" width using for size? I am leaning towards 6'6"-7', can't remember what size I used as a kid.
Thanks in advance.

-Matt

Well, I don't know what part of the country you are in, but down here in E Texas, hardly anybody mounts oars. We all use paddles (3' to 6'; wooden or aluminum). About the only thing we see with mounted oars are kayaks.

Sorry I couldn't help, but I wish you luck. I'd like to know myself.

Have a good one,
Keith
Texas

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Well, I don't know what part of the country you are in, but down here in E Texas, hardly anybody mounts oars. We all use paddles (3' to 6'; wooden or aluminum). About the only thing we see with mounted oars are kayaks.

Sorry I couldn't help, but I wish you luck. I'd like to know myself.

Have a good one,
Keith
Texas

Interesting, growing up in the northeast, all we "paddled" were canoes or kayaks.
Different strokes for different folks..pun intended

+1 on the 7' s. I bought 6'6" ers for my 1436(48" beam) thinking I may not have the power as an old fart that I had as a young man. And I wasn't sure if rowing hard would hurt my weak back. My back is fine and I can handle more leverage. 7's, at least. You can always overlap the handles, thereby shortening each oar by 4-5" if you need to.

ggoldy said:
+1 on the 7' s. I bought 6'6" ers for my 1436(48" beam) thinking I may not have the power as an old fart that I had as a young man. And I wasn't sure if rowing hard would hurt my weak back. My back is fine and I can handle more leverage. 7's, at least. You can always overlap the handles, thereby shortening each oar by 4-5" if you need to.

Appreciate the advice, so much conflicting info and formulas out there. I'm going with 7 footers. My back can handle it, plus it will give me more weapon to jam down a gators throat if need be :shock: