12ft aluminium keel repair (help)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbausch

Reaction score
Hey everyone first post here I ran into a issue with my boat that i need help on.

I bought a 12ft sears game fisher v hull aluminium boat for $200 . I found out for some reason the previous owner kept it in salt water for a while . Well picking it up at night was a NO NO that i found out. The inside looked very clean and also came with a trailer.

The next morning i trailer it in the yard and see a few epoxied rivitets think no big deal then i turn it over and the keel is just about corroded off . Every 8 inches there's a hole in the keel from heavy corrosion and there's visible corrosion on the inside bow now that i bought it i have to fix it ( thinking if my wife found out she would say SEE YOU BLEW IT AGAIN lol) so i need help in the steps to trying to fix it . It holds water pretty good i seen one small leak but other then that nothing.

1My plan is to somehow fix the keel
2 strip and oil base prime and paint
3 thinking of bed lining the floor of the boat thinking that should help with the corrosion

I'm going to use it strictly as a row boat no motor or trolling motor . It's going on the bands of upstate ny on a reservoir and being used on a family outing a weekend of the year . Help me please.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 729
Ahh, that's rough. Guy should have been straight with you and never by a boat blind, lesson learned the hard way. Can you get your money back? That aluminum could be pretty thin if the corrosion is bad, would hate to find out while offshore. Heard gatorhyde coating works. from what I have read sticks better and chips less than steelflex , but that is just reviews I have read not first hand knowledge.

I hear ya, i cant get my money back I'm sure he would fight it, i heard i should replace the keel or cover over it with aluminium angle and weld it in over the keel

Cbausch said:
I hear ya, i cant get my money back I'm sure he would fight it, i heard i should replace the keel or cover over it with aluminium angle and weld it in over the keel

Sounds expensive...depends what it's worth to you. Maybe go with bedliner or steelflex and roll the dice

Latest posts