Air Boat Ride on the Sabine River E TX

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasLoneStar56

Reaction score
I would like to share a video that was made on an air boat going down the Sabine River, just north of Tyler, Texas. This young man has diligently worked on this boat and modified it. This video was taken in September 2014. It seems as though you are riding along with them! 8)

Watch for the Jeep! :shock: Turn up the volume! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFDu3jb6dw

(BTW: It's our grown kids. James, Jason & Savana) =D>

Hope you enjoy! Comments welcome!
Keith
Texas

TexasLoneStar
Thanks for posting that, It was a fun ride!
How many of You ducked from the branches on the skinny stretch? :shock:

Steve A W

KMixson said:
earl60446 said:
Looks pretty cool, kinda skinny river, width and depth wise aka air boat.

You're right. I would call that a creek myself but it may be as big as the L.A. River in Los Angeles.

The Sabine River starts at Lake Fork, Texas (the famous Big Bass lake of Texas) and ends at the Gulf of Mexico (Port Aurthur, Texas....home town of Janis Joplin). It's width and depth are controlled by the rainfall. It gets out of it's bank with a good rain (up to 30' depth and 1/4 mile wide. At one time, it was the main river for cargo steam & paddle boats....logging, food and supplies. There is a historical marker at "Belzora's Landing", which is right outside of Hawkins, Texas, at the Sabine River. It and an old rock house are the only thing that remains of it, due to the building of the dam at Lake Fork, years ago. Very historical in East Texas.

Yes, this video was shot while the river was down. They were running in water from 4" to 4'. Thus, the air boat. Too hard on flat bottoms when it's low. When the river is up, the River Rats come out. 8) Lots of good catfish in that old river.

Glad y'all enjoyed the video. :) Thanks for the comments!

Keith

Steve A W said:
TexasLoneStar

Steve A W

Steve,

I've been in that boat, on the lake. But I've never been in it on the river. I have been in a flat bottom on the river and had to "duck". Those kids run wide open. I like to "putt" in our old 14' with the 9.5. I guess I'm getting older and wiser, but I'm not too old for the volume to be turned up! 8)

Keith

surfman said:
Yea but not too shallow to flaot a mobil home. :)

LOL! There are several barges on the river. They were all built on the river. Materials and tools are hauled in. Some have plastic barrels, some have pontoons. The one our kids built has both. (not the one in the pic...it belongs to a friend) They are all tied off with cable, so they go up and down with the river level.

Cool. I noted that the everyone in the boat was wearing their caps in the optional - bill forward - position. You guys trying to start a trend or something? Was that a Ford Econoline pickup along the shore? And what about the building?

cool video. We make a trip out to the Sabine every year for the white bass spawn. We fish south of Carthage. Hands down the most epic white bass fishing/catching I've ever seen. I fish Tawakoni a LOT since it's only 30 minutes fromthe house, basically the Sabine begins behind the dam of Tawakoni in NE Texas and the only lake between it and the gulf is Toledo Bend. Fork dumps into it, but doesn't impede it's navigation.

A buddy of mine found one of those cabins washed up on a sand bar one year when he was hunting some WMA land and using his boat to access it. Front porch was stock with firewood for the stove, the cabinets inside were full of canned goods, linens on the beds, like someone was living in it. Only it was sitting half on/half off a sand bar and was severely out of level. It had obviously broken loose during a flood and came to rest there. He was amazed how little damage it had sustained.

bobberboy said:
Cool. I noted that the everyone in the boat was wearing their caps in the optional - bill forward - position. You guys trying to start a trend or something? Was that a Ford Econoline pickup along the shore? And what about the building?

Bobber,

The only thing holding those caps on are the earphones. 8) But yea, these two guys do wear their caps with the bill forward. E TX Rednecks; not citified saggers with the bill sideways. [-X

It was a jeep! :shock: I get cracked up every time I watch James' hand motions telling it to move out of the way. :LOL2: They had to hear that boat coming for a ways, believe me, it is loud.

The building is a cabin that belongs to a friend. There are several on the river. (Please refer to a post above about the river cabins.)

Thanks for the comments! :D

Keith

PsychoXP18CC said:
cool video. We make a trip out to the Sabine every year for the white bass spawn. We fish south of Carthage. Hands down the most epic white bass fishing/catching I've ever seen. I fish Tawakoni a LOT since it's only 30 minutes fromthe house, basically the Sabine begins behind the dam of Tawakoni in NE Texas and the only lake between it and the gulf is Toledo Bend. Fork dumps into it, but doesn't impede it's navigation.

A buddy of mine found one of those cabins washed up on a sand bar one year when he was hunting some WMA land and using his boat to access it. Front porch was stock with firewood for the stove, the cabinets inside were full of canned goods, linens on the beds, like someone was living in it. Only it was sitting half on/half off a sand bar and was severely out of level. It had obviously broken loose during a flood and came to rest there. He was amazed how little damage it had sustained.

Psycho,

You are about 65 miles from us. We actually live on Lake Hawkins, right off Hwy 80. (Just always easier to say Tyler).

I know what you mean about the cabins. Our guys have helped others in rescuing their cabins, and barrels, after the river floods. It always amazes me what you see floating down that river. Boy do I love to jump the log jams! :)

And, yes, most have sleeping quarters, food, wood burning stove, etc.... After a good rain, the River Rats come out. If it is a weekend, the river will be alive all night long. Running lines, going from cabin to cabin, fresh fish fries, and, a beer or three. A lot of fun.

Lake Fork Creek is 2.5 miles from us, on Hwy 80. Three bridges cross over it. The wilderness preserve is on Hwy 69, right outside of Mineola. There is a bridge there as well, and a boat ramp.
We usually put in at the Hwy 14 river bridge just outside of Hawkins, and go down river to the Hwy 155 bridge at Big Sandy. Only 5 miles via Hwy 80; almost 10 by way of the river. Our kids barge is located about half way.

Just lots of fun! :)

Thanks for the comments!
Keith

bobberboy said:

Bobber,

I took these yesterday, on the Sabine River. Maybe it will give you a little better idea of the barges (cabins). The first one is our kids barge; the second one is our friends. They have worked on it all summer. Almost compete. :)

Attachments

• The River 11.23.2014n.jpg
    The River 11.23.2014n.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,355
  • The River 11.23.2014q.jpg
    The River 11.23.2014q.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,355
Steve A W said:
TexasLoneStar

Steve A W

I ducked these branches yesterday! :lol:
If you look close, you can see our kids up front in their boat. They just went through there. Our other kids are behind us in their boat. Have to stay on the deep side when the river is down. Rocky shoals to get past and they can sure eat up a prop.
(the girls belong to us; the boys are our son-in-laws)
Good clean family fun on a gorgeous sunny 73 degree Sunday afternoon! :D

Attachments

• The River 11.23.2014e.jpg
    The River 11.23.2014e.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1,354
  • The River 11.23.2014f.jpg
    The River 11.23.2014f.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,354
TexasLoneStar56 said:
bobberboy said:

Bobber,

I took these yesterday, on the Sabine River. Maybe it will give you a little better idea of the barges (cabins). The first one is our kids barge; the second one is our friends. They have worked on it all summer. Almost compete. :)

That's very cool. Doesn't the Texas DNR have issues with these? Last summer I took a short trip following the Mississippi from Minneapolis to northeastern Iowa. Along the way I saw many places where boat houses had created little villages. As might be expected, the local communities don't like them, maybe because they don't have to pay taxes and don't meet local building codes. I personally believe it's due to the locals not being able to imagine a different way of living (and probably being jealous of those who can). The regulations governing the villages are (of course) very complicated. State regs, federal regs and I think in some places scenic waterway regs all meant to discourage the house boats. Historically this way of living is as old as the settlements on the river but like many of the cool old ways, the modern cities nearby don't want them. To my way of thinking it's a classic struggle between the haves and have-nots. Also, technically speaking they're not boats at all. They're rafts or as you call them, barges. No power and tethered to the shore.

Being the highly suggestible type that I am, it was love at first sight for me. Get a few dozen blue barrels and some lumber and presto daddy-o you've got yourself a shack on the water. No high lake or river shore property prices. No high taxes. And if you plan it right you could fish without getting out of bed.

Up here in the great frozen north (it's Thanksgiving morning at 6:30 - outdoor temp is currently 0°) there are the ice houses that are permitted (and licensed of course to get the tax revenue) and they create villages on most lakes during the winter. They are basically the same as the boat houses. You can't believe how much dough the owners spend on them. In addition to the necessary holes in the floor, there are satellite dishes, generators, bunks, heating and cooking, you name it. Man shacks extraordinaire.

Here are a few pics of the rafts I took on my trip.

So If I moved to Texas could I have one of these?

Good morning Bobber,

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing your journey. I have only seen "ice fishing houses" on TV. Seems like it would be an adventure all it's own.

A good friend of ours is a river boat captain on the Mighty Mississippi. He has spoken of these villages along the river. I would have to agree that it is a way of life for some. That I know of, no one lives on the barges on the Sabine. They are just a camp site, if you will. However, there are houses along the banks of the river that folks do live in. One is upwards of 3000sf, log cabin. Gorgeous and I bet a gorgeous price tag as well.

We live on a lake, so we know the high cost of lake property taxes. That I know of, there are no property taxes on these barges. However, they must be registered with the Texas Parks & Wildlife and have TX numbers. I am not sure about other rivers.

The Sabine River is an absolute wonder of the Lord himself. It hosts many critters; gators, water moccasins, huge white owls, bald eagles, etc... It can get rather spooky at night, with things that go bump in the night. :shock: It is a different world to us, than life on the lake. An adventure every time! :)

Oh! Sorry it is so cold up there. We are approaching 76 here, with unusual winds of 20-30 mph. Normal winds for us are only 5-10 mph. There will be no burning of leaves today. [-X

Updated info on the boys river barge build, and a few pics, will be posted to a new thread. Enjoy!
Barge/Cabin build on The Sabine River, East Texas

Signing off of this thread, .03.27.2015
Michelle Keith
Tyler, Texas

Latest posts