Waterproof foam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garystan

Reaction score
I just pulled up 65 Lbs of water soaked foam from the bottom of my 16’ boat. I need 1 ½” to go up to the ribs and support my thin flooring. I really don’t want to do spray foam even though I have a buddy that can do that. Dow makes a 1 ½” blue core Styrofoam Polystyrene closed cell product. Would this work?

rscottp said:
Yes, the extruded blue or pink foam will work.

Thanks, I have a Polar Kraft and the floor appears to be 1/16" aluminum. Both the ribs and the foam support the floor. Will the foam board support the floor or will it cave in?

It will work. I used it between the ribs in the floor and used road signs I bought for the floor. I cut the foam board to fit then used rivets to attach the aluminum floor. Then I cut foam board and put it along the sides and covered it with FRP board. I now have an open floor plan in an old duracraft.

Just don't use to much in the floor if your boat would start to fill up it will flip the foam side up.

Last reply was funny.
If the boat fills up with enough water to float bottom side up, does it really matter where you put the foam at that point? :shock:

He's got s 16' boat, foam in the floor and along the sides is not going to flip the boat. I'll try to attach a picture of a boat in my uncle's lake. It filled with water and is still floating upright.

It's in the floor and sides, the bow is hollow in this boat. Mice took up residence in the bow foam so my uncle removed it all.