2000 Tracker Grizzly Opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armentdw

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some help in purchsing a boat. I'm trying to upgrade from my 1436 to something a little wider. I found a 2000 Tracker Grizzly 1448 welded boat. I'm looking for opinions on the older Grizzly's. Anything I should look out for with these boats? I also found a 2002 Lowe 1448 riveted boat for a couple hundred less. I'm leaning towards the welded boat since I'm fishing a shallow rocky river. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I owned at 1997 V16 Super Guide. IMO Tracker boats are solid. Paint, trim fit and carpet back then were not as good as other brands, but the boat it's self was fine. It is doubtful that I will ever buy another Tracker, but I do not discourage others from doing so. The #1 reason I would not buy another is my preferred Dealer doesn't sell them.

they are good boats, but they are heavy. I have an '08 1448 the paint is very thin. it is a solid boat but I probably wont buy another one unless I find a steal of a deal again.

I have an older (1995) Tracker Sportsman 1648 that I completely redid over a year ago. It is riveted and (was) light. I don't mind the rivets so much because I can easily replace them with tools I have on hand and solid rivets. Makes modifications a bit easier. I run a shallow rocky river as well with a 50/35 Johnson Jet and have had my share of rock/bottom strikes. Have put 2 holes in the bottom of my hull and destroyed my jet foot all this past summer. With all of that only one rivet on the bottom needed fixed. I run my boat HARD all year fishing in the spring/summer and then duck hunting in the fall/winter. Only problem I have with mine is the hull is rather thin. Probably less then .80", which leads to holes. If I ever get another boat I will be more concerned about hull gauge then riveted vs welded.

Same opinion here, both are good boats. Other than maby some sloppy welding, I think I would lean toward the Grizzley for a shallow rocky river. The Grizzley should have a thicker hull.
Mod. V, vs. flat bottom? All comes down to preference. I have a 2006 1654 Tracker Grizzley FB, and so far so good.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Both boats are mod v bottom and come with 9.9 HP outboards and bow mount trolling motors. I know it's under powered but most of my runs in the river are less than 2 miles in slow pools. Priced right around $2000 for the grizzly and couple hundred less for the Lowe. Seems like either will be a good platform to work with.

armentdw said:
Thanks for all the quick responses. Both boats are mod v bottom and come with 9.9 HP outboards and bow mount trolling motors. I know it's under powered but most of my runs in the river are less than 2 miles in slow pools. Priced right around $2000 for the grizzly and couple hundred less for the Lowe. Seems like either will be a good platform to work with.

If it were me and I wasn't planning on getting anything bigger than a 9.9 HP I'd go with the Lowe since it would most likely be a lighter boat. That 9.9 HP should push it better then the heavier Grizzly.

I agree. If all u have is a 9.9 go with the lowe as the grizzly is freaking heavy. I have a 1448sc with a 20 and its underpowered

if u go with a lowe have them fill with water and check for holes a friend bought one it almost sank

For river use the heavier welded tracker could serve you well for years to come no matter what motor you use.
The lighter riveted Lowe will show hull issues over time in a rocky river ( rock contact causes their thin hulls to wave, dent, or even tear, and tends to loosen rivets causing future leaks ). That only gets more likely with a heavier motor and more speed.

Riveted boats can do well on some rivers and/or some deeper sections but if your mostly a river fishermen a welded boat with a slightly thicker hull will give you more leeway for mistakes and getting off the beaten path so to speak.

I have a 2013 1648 and I like it this is my 2nd tracker one was an old 1984 boat held up to my likings

Latest posts