Transom replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is basically how it should go.
First the transom corner caps have to come off then you have decide what to do about the transom cap, bend it up or cut it off. Then you remove any bolts, rivets that go through the transom and hopefully the transom will slide out.

Not sure you will have to cut your corner braces off. I didn't have to on mine, but yours might be different. My transom wood sits about 2-3" above the bottom of my hull and is held there by a brace the length of the transom. Once that is off the transom slides down and comes right out. Here is how mine looks.

Original transom before being replaced
IMAG0511.jpg

After removal
IMAG0547.jpg

New transom
IMAG0609.jpg

I've never replaced a transom before and I thought mine turned out fantastic. I had no idea what I was doing, but guys on here helped me through it. If you follow the first few pages of my build thread it should send you in the right direction. GOOD LUCK!!

BigTerp said:
I've never replaced a transom before and I thought mine turned out fantastic. I had no idea what I was doing, but guys on here helped me through it. If you follow the first few pages of my build thread it should send you in the right direction. GOOD LUCK!!
Being your first time, you did a great job!.. Looks nice!

Thanks for sharing!

If you send us some close up pictures, we can give you more advice. On a side note I do not want to make this another welded vs rivets argument in aluminum boat construction, but I believe it must be easier to replace transoms that have the riveted construction. Grind them off and pound them out. Then use stainless bolts when you put it back together. I can't imagine having to cut through welds and trying to put it back together.

Gotem said:
If you send us some close up pictures, we can give you more advice. On a side note I do not want to make this another welded vs rivets argument in aluminum boat construction, but I believe it must be easier to replace transoms that have the riveted construction. Grind them off and pound them out. Then use stainless bolts when you put it back together. I can't imagine having to cut through welds and trying to put it back together.
My riveted jon had the corner caps welded on.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Mine did too, and the top cap on the transom was also welded to the corner braces. The corner braces were welded to the boat but the top cap which was welded to the corner braces was pop riveted on. It was screwy.

WPS said:
BigTerp said:
Being your first time, you did a great job!.. Looks nice!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!!

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Gotem said:

My corner caps are welded on also. But the way mine transom wood is installed they didn't need to come off to get the wood out. It will depend on how the OP's transom wood is installed if he will need to remove the corner caps. Some more/closer pictures would help.

Latest posts