How do i fix/patch old Rivet holes in my hull???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty

Reaction score
i have an ALUMACRAFT 1448MV

the center bench has a livewell/storage built in. I have recently discovered that there are 8 rivets that go through the hull and through the livewell. the livewell itself is a separate piece and not welded onto the hull. it is frenched in underneath the center bench seat if that makes sense.

anyway I was checking everything out and 3 or 4 of the rivet heads have broken off from underneath. it just so happens that they line up right on top of my trailer bunks.

I have access to a tig/mig welder (and someone to operate it)

question is what do I need to do to prep it? and after its welded? I know the metal is very thin. welding it will make it brittle and I don't want to make an even bigger hole.

any coating I should consider bottom or inside the hull?

help a brother out ! thanks in advance fellas.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
bridgeman said:
drill em out and replace them with blind rivets sealed with some 5200
All aluminum closed end blind rivets.

I think I am going to just go through the hull this time and not through the hull and the bottom of the livewell. is changing the thickness going to matter?

and closed end rivets..... I am assuming not with a rivet gun. teach me how please!!!

lefty said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
bridgeman said:
drill em out and replace them with blind rivets sealed with some 5200
All aluminum closed end blind rivets.

I think I am going to just go through the hull this time and not through the hull and the bottom of the livewell. is changing the thickness going to matter?

and closed end rivets..... I am assuming not with a rivet gun. teach me how please!!!
You may or may not need rivets with a shorter reach / grip length and yes you install them with a rivet gun / rivet tool.

I know a lot of guys on here use the closed end blind rivets for hull holes below the water line, but if it were me I'd replace them with solid rivets (if you can get to both sides) or have the holes welded up. I've seen to many blind rivets work loose over time to trust them in any below water application.