1464 sea nymph new project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstresponder01

Reaction score
Picked up my new toy today. She is ugly as sin but I see the potential in her to make her a great boat. Going to be repainting and decking. The trailer is going to need some love as-well but for picking her up for only $250 for boat and trailer I cant complain. Now if you notice the rails are 1x4 and they did a horrible job of replacing them in the past. I am going to replace them, has anyone ever done this or have any advice to making it look good? Was going to get four 16footers but I don't know if they will bend the way i need them too. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20141130_172556.jpg
    20141130_172556.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 20141130_172548.jpg
    20141130_172548.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 20141130_172541.jpg
    20141130_172541.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,072
Best way is to soak the wood in water for a day or two. Then get lots of clamps and form it to the boat, then let it dry really good before bolting it down.

I've never seen wood on a tinboat like that before. Do you know if that's there to replace something similar that was done by the factory or is that just something the prev owner did to stiffen the sides?

Ive seen it before but its not very common at all. The problem with soaking the boards is i dont have a trauf or rub big enough to fit 14foot boards. I want a solid board all the way across. No joints or points for it to xoke apart again and look bad

Maybe a tarp? Lay it out, hang the ends and sides. Lay boards in bottom and fill with enough water to cover them.

They have to be soaked or they may splinter trying to make the bends.

I don't think those are original. You might want to check out this link. I know the example is a canoe, but the method and materials should be similar.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-replace-the-gunwales-and-other-wood-work-on/

Depending on how wide the boards are you could get a section of plastic rain gutter and put caps on the end and use that to soak your boards.

Well I know the 1X4 is probably not original. It was probably 1x2, something decorative. Some just replaced it with 1x4 and did a really poor job. I was thinking about finding some kind of polymer or teflon 1x since it can take the bend but Im not sure. Need to see what i can find. I do like the tarp idea. Thought about strapping them to a cinderblock and letting them sit at the bottom of the pond for two days haha

gillhunter said:
I don't think those are original. You might want to check out this link. I know the example is a canoe, but the method and materials should be similar.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-replace-the-gunwales-and-other-wood-work-on/

That was a great instructional, thank you. Thats what I have in mind. I will probably use 1x2 since I has a twist towards the front of the boat. But of course going to use all stainless screws and bolts, I have my fair share of rust bolts and screws to cut out of this boat.

was thinking about taking some aluminum stock and cutting a small channel in it, then fitting it to the edge of the sides. But first thing is first, fix all holes and paint it.

The AT's have wood inside and out. The wood is the gunnel of the boat. Mines like 1.5x1.5 strip 1x2 inside and out would work.

Yeah someone on here told me that. I cant tell what this one was before i started stripping it down today, pulling out the seats and all wood. And there are so many things im just dumb founded that has been done to this thing. Its spent to much time under bubbas shade tree. But all the more reason to put that much more love into it.

I'd be very doubtful that you could get a 1x4 to follow the contours of the boat from front to back as 1 piece. It would work fine if you only had to follow the ins and outs, but when you need to curve it upward as it nears the front of the boat, I think you'll be outta luck. You'll have much better luck with something like the 1½" x 1½" stock you mentioned. My suggestion would be to watch a few of the youtube vids on how to build a wood steamer and maybe some vids on building birch bark canoes as they offer some hints on bending wood.

Yes i saw that at the front it has twist to it so 1x4 would be to much. I will look into 1x1/2 then cap the tops. I have been watching lots of videos. Got the boat stripped and ready for sanding and hole fills. Have alot of holes to fill under the where the old gunwales were. Was just going to fill in with jb weld. But there are so many. It looks like it has been replaced multiple times and with new holes everytime. Have any other options for filling holes other then jb weld so im not mixing so many tiny tubes up.

Attachments

• 20141202_120229.jpg
    20141202_120229.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 20141202_120249.jpg
    20141202_120249.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 20141202_120303.jpg
    20141202_120303.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,013
For filling the holes it would be best to have them welded but some times that's just not gonna happen. So with that in mind I'd toss the JB weld and go buy some 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive. There's no mixing, and while it gets pretty firm, it remains flexible enough to give when the aluminum flexes.