A Idea for future Boat Mod Posts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
Hello all;
I've been here on ole' TinBoats on & off for 6+ years & I've enjoyed looking at many of the mods, throwing my 2 cents in here & there etc.. (still gotta get the posting pics trick down pat so I can actually post some of my modest work but, that's a another issue for another time..). Anyway, I notice alot of guys building their dream projects & whatnot BUT, I rarely ever see the co$t$ involved. So I think it'd be a great idea if, guys could start relaying how much most of these various materials costs them (in general we don't need a pic of the bill of sale :lol: ).
It's NOT designed to be noisy or judgmental but, there are probably quit a few here (like myself) who would like to go all 'Captain America' on there mods but, are prohibited due to cost of materials. For example, go with all aluminum supports & plate decking vs wood/plywood, pro-quality paint vs a Rustoleum, Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpeting vs genuine Marine flooring etc.. In short, it'd be a good idea that before some of us here start salivating over others projects & thinking of incorporating the same great ideas into our own mods, whether it'd be fiscally feasible to do so. I think it'd save alot of time for some not to have to look up every single solitary cost of every single solitary piece of material but, get a general idea BEFORE starting/investing the time & money.
Relevant thoughts......?

richg99 said:
Good idea, why not.....Oh, their wife might see the post.
Then, she might say. "That framix cost How Much?!!!!!!"
Ha Ha, richg99

IF such is the case then don't volunteer your TinBoat username to her & sure as heck don't post a profile pic of yourself #-o
(pssssst Rich...it's called "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" & I learned it from Bill pass the bimbos Clinton heh, heh ).
I also learned that most (not all) of the time it's MUCH easier to get forgiveness from your woman than permission. :wink:

That advice was for the nearly married (under 50 years).... After 50 years of marriage, they figure out that they don't want to start over with another new husband. Ha Ha. richg99

If I conservatively value my labor at $0.25/hour, my labor costs far outweigh materials costs for most of my projects. I'd be interested in the hours involved also.

richg99 said:
Good idea, why not.....Oh, their wife might see the post.

Then, she might say. "That framix cost How Much?!!!!!!"

Ha Ha, richg99

I feel pretty fortunate. I know pretty much exactly what I have in my build and so does my wife because she was with me for all the purchases. She also helped throughout the project. Why? Because she loves fishing and being on the water as much or more than I do.
Of course if she didn't, I'd be fishing off the bank :LOL2:

I feel pretty fortunate. I know pretty much exactly what I have in my build and so does my wife because she was with me for all the purchases. She also helped throughout the project. Why? Because she loves fishing and being on the water as much or more than I do. Of course if she didn't, I'd be fishing off the bank :LOL2:

How much would YOUR wife want to train MY wife (I.e. in the love fishing & helping with the projects minus the complaining of course)? :lol:
Because I married my polar opposite & still ponder to this day whether her not really caring for fishing/boating is a good thing or bad thing? :-k

richg99 said:
That advice was for the nearly married (under 50 years).... After 50 years of marriage, they figure out that they don't want to start over with another new husband. Ha Ha. richg99

Or.....They finally discover that after decades of 'marital bliss' they've grown really tired of your sorry old carcass smelling to often of dead worms & fish, the garage cluttered with half-finished boat projects with no extra money available for new shoes/clothes, curtains, fancy candle-lite dinners or what-have-you...
(not necessarily saying you Rich :lol: )
Inevitably wifey then comes to the conclusion that she no longer wants to wait for your Life Insurance Policy to payout so she can finally go to Tahiti either.
So one night oddly enough, you wake up at 2am to find a pillow over your face. And she innocently claims it's because you were "snoring too loud"
(although that really doesn't explain why she was laying across the pillow at the time 8-[ ). *

*The above scenario doesn't apply to the author :p .

+1 on this idea my wife has a spreadsheet on exact amounts right now ... she even has it down to how much fuel we spent towing the boat home when I bought it.... right now with everything (including boat, trailer, motor) I'm at 12 hours and $600 in ... once my parts come in I think all I need left is a fuel tank and it's water ready. ... but future me will be getting a steering wheel and side console set up. .. carpet... paint. ... so there will be more in the future...

I lost track of how much the total cost of mine was. I have though posted prices thought out the process.

I do not track the cost of my hunting, fishing, hot rods, reloading, or any other hobby. I am frugal with expenditures, but don't really scrimp when a quality purchase is necessary either. I simply don't want, or need, to know. As for the wife knowing how much it all costs, I don't sweat that either. We keep finances separate, so what I spend is really none of her business, and what she spends on clothes and such is none of mine, as long as bills are paid and there's groceries in the fridge. Almost 15yrs in and we've never had a fight about money.

Latest posts