10' G3 Jon Boat capacity questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking for a ten footer for over a year now. All the ones on CraigsList
are in the $400 range withOUT title.
Yesterday, I SCORED this awesome 10' G3 1032 that is in like new condition for $190.00
and it comes with a CLEAR TITLE !! AWESOME FIND !!!
The owner lived in a gated community and had to keep it in his garage. So it has
been very well cared for.

Ok, here are my concerns:
The capacity plate says 180 pounds max. I weigh 180# and my wife is about 150#
so that is 330# right there.
Add 50# for a battery, 25# for minnow bucket, etc etc etc.
we are both short people on the average size. So is the boat overloaded before we even use it ????

Issue #2: Size of trolling motor..... the boat weighs about 75#, with the additional weight,
we will be pushing 400 pounds through the water.

Price wise, I want to stay with the 12 volt motor. Will a 40 pound thrust be adequate for this rig ??
I have never been in a small Jon like this with electric motor so I am sort of at a loss as to power.
I am also searching for a 3 to 5hp outboard as well.
Thanks.

There is nothing more grand than
to be just simply messing around
in an old boat . . . . POGO, 1960

Attachments

• boat 005.JPG
    boat 005.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 985
  • boat 001.JPG
    boat 001.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 985
  • boat 003.JPG
    boat 003.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 985
  • boat 004.JPG
    boat 004.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 985
  • boat 002.JPG
    boat 002.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 984
If the 2 of you fish together, you will want a bigger boat. I have fished out of a 1232 before and it made me nervous with just me in it. Fished with my brother, who is about 200 lbs (I'm 180), just a 40 lb Minn Kota and a 27 series battery. That was really dicey. Scarey even. We did it but if anyone came by and made any wake we had to be on our toes. And that also meant if the wind was blowing, we were not to be on the water. A 10' would be even worse.

I know a guy who is not quite all there, fishes out of a 10' boat. Hauls it in back of his van. Guy is well over 400 lbs, probably closer to 1/4 ton. He puts the spare tire out of his van in the front of the boat for counterweight and paddles around. It has maybe a couple inches of boat out of the water and you never see him lean to one side to grab a fish.

GEEEZZZZEEEE and here I thought I found a jewel ....

To find a 1240 or even a 1040 in Central Florida with a title at a decent price is very very rare.
I will let my wife use this one alone on the small lakes that have no gas motors allowed.
We will continue the search for a MO WIDER boat. (mo wider = mo betta)
I can still flip this one for $500 because of its excellent condition and paperwork.

Just found a Minn-Kota Riptide/S 12v 40lb thrust that is for saltwater as we also have a saltwater lagoon
we want to fish in (with a bigger boat). Now that I look at it more closely, I don't think a 1032 will be safe in open water,
just as you stated.
According to the website, a 40lb motor will push a 17' Jon easily. So I am thinking it will also work on my
14' Vee hull .............
Thanks.
Will be giving it a float test tomorrow in a small lake and go from there.

Just got back from the lake for the test run.

Personally - I would NEVER recommend this boat for ANYONE wanting to fish with another person.
almost impossible to change places from front to back without tipping over.
32" beam is just way way too narrow for double team boating.
And now, with this brief experience, I suggest you NEVER exceed the boat's capacity !!
This is my very first time in such a small boat with trolling motor.
My other experiences were in 16x48 footers with a 9.9 outboard.
LOL it was so stable (or, I was so arrogant) that we put lawn chairs across the bench seats to fish.

anyway, If you are looking for a 1032 Jon, I strongly suggest you find a way to float test it PRIOR to purchase.

Jus my dos centavos

I'm looking for one for up in CT but only for myself - that is way too narrow and short a boat for two people.

OndaWater - I found it very awkward to sit on the bench seat and run the
trolling motor at the same time. Looking at your photo, you appear to be six foot or more.
I strongly suggest to everyone to test drive a 1032 before you buy one.

I bought this one for $190 and sold it for $400 two days later to a guy that lives on a lake
with two teenagers that will have a blast with it fishing and just puttering around and doing boy stuff.

The capacity tag says 275 pounds maximum fully loaded with a body and all the other stuff.
do the math.

Jus my dos centavos

I want it for really hard to reach places that I'd probably just be paddling around in anyway - but you are right, I'm far from being a midget :)

Latest posts