14ft aluminium boat safe to fish coastal saltwater and bays?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.

Is a 14ft aluminium boat safe to fish in coastal saltwater and bays?

You may select 1 option

View results

answer3

Post by answer3 »

Hi guys
I am new to this forum, just registered yesterday, looks like a great community here!
I live in Boston MA and have been fishing in massachusetts and new hampshire for about 2 years now on my 14ft canoe, mainly in ponds. I have had a lot of fun catching bass and pickerel, however, I struggle a lot when the wind start to blow or when I go to big lakes because the canoe is moved around by the wind very easily. Moreover, I tried to go fishing in the ocean with my canoe (nahan bay and marblehead) but I did not feel safe at all and was affraid to capsize several times due to waves made by boats or wind.
So I have been thinking for a few months to upgrade to a small boat that I could use to fish in both freshwater and saltwater (close to the coast not far away). I rented a lund wc 14ft with a 9.9hp outboard in the Thousands Islands (upstate new york) this summer and loved it, so i am trying to find something similar to buy.
Do you guys know if a 14ft aluminium boat like that is safe enough to go in coastal saltwater in places like boston harbour, ipswich bay, merrimack river, quincy bay, plymouth bay, cape cod or even acadia park etc... ? I would not want to go too far from coast, probably half a mile maximum.
If not, what would you guys recommend?

WPS

Post by WPS »

Welcome to TinBoats! :mrgreen:

Nice place here with a lot of great info & a nice group of members!

Read through this thread:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=32534

But he has a 16' Lund Laker... He fishes in New England too.

Here's a quote from his thread:... He also has some nice pictures of the ''big water'' in his thread! :mrgreen: ... I'm sure he will reply to your thread and could answer some questions for you.... But, read through his thread!
rscottp wrote:How does that laker feel in the ocean? I'm across from you in Falmouth a lot and have taken boats out into Buzzards Bay for years, never a tin though. Does it get pretty rough out there in it? How far out have you gone?

Thanks
SuDZ

Its pretty good out there in the big ocean. The old laker has been in some nasty stuff and got me home safe. Because of the flat transom area it pounds if you try to go fast in bigger chop. Go slow and its fine. You really have to pay attention to the weather, tides and the little voice in your head. I have been around Gay Head to Nomans, through Woods Hole, to Wasque and Waquoit.
I'm working on a S 14' Lund V-Bottom right now and the Lunds are great boats made for rough water.

Stay safe out there! :)
John 3:16
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18' DLX Pontoon
1978 S-14' Lund Aluminum V-Bottom With Aluminum Trailer...https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36187
1978 Elgin 12' Aluminum V-Bottom

Captain Ahab

Post by Captain Ahab »

You should be fine so long as you watch the wind and weather - you cannot go everyday but you will have to pick qa choose.

No the difference a wind direction makes in the areas you fish - here in DE and NJ you can fish a west wind easy but a strong NE and it is awful (most place)
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

answer3

Post by answer3 »

Thanks! I will start looking into used ones to buy ;-)

Do you recommend a v hull or a semi v hull? I understand that v hull will handle better in rough water but are less stable, so is semi v hull the ideal combination of stability and rough water safety?

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/4802153073.html

A little bigger than what you are looking for but a great deal down on the cape. Motor alone is worth at least $1500.

WPS

Post by WPS »

rscottp wrote:https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/4802153073.html

A little bigger than what you are looking for but a great deal down on the cape. Motor alone is worth at least $1500.
That's a great deal!... Looks like the same motor that you have.
1978 S-14' Lund Aluminum V-Bottom With Aluminum Trailer...https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36187

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

WPS wrote:

Looks newer and in better shape than mine, also looks like a short shaft.

WPS

Post by WPS »

rscottp wrote:
WPS wrote:

Looks newer and in better shape than mine, also looks like a short shaft.
The seller said the motor is brand new!... Yeah, this is a great price on the whole package!

I just noticed that the trailer is too short, But it would be a easy fix with some new metal! :mrgreen:

earl60446

Post by earl60446 »

If I was concerned with waves and rough water, I would not want a short shaft. Both of my boats have been long shafts and they provide a much safer feeling when more gunwale / transom is desirable.
Tim
16ft 1989 Fisher SV-2 w 1988 48hp SPL Johnson "CIGAR BARGE"
(engine looks like a wreck but runs great)
Used to have 1972 14ft Lund w 1977 15hp Mariner
(engine looked great but always ran marginal)
XLINE SPORTSMANS CLUB

answer3

Post by answer3 »

It does look like a good deal yes! The issue is that I don't think i can fit a 16ft boat in my garage unfortunately... I measured it and have 20.5 ft maximum and I am affraid that the total length needed by the motor at the back + the boat + the front metal part of the trailer will be more than 20.5 ft...
If you guys have a 16ft boat can you tell me what is the total length of the boat + trailer + motor?

Another concern I have is the radius I have to turn to exit my driveway, I will have to check with a "fake trailer" that i plan to do quickly out of cheap wood and tow it behind my car to see if I can take the trailer out of my driveway and make the 1st turn in the narrow street. I don't want to buy a boat/trailer and realize when I come back home that it is too big... It would be a huge help if one of you could give me the mezsurements of your trailer so I can make a replica out of wood and test it.

rscottp

14ft aluminium boat safe to fish coastal saltwater and b

Post by rscottp »

earl60446 wrote:If I was concerned with waves and rough water, I would not want a short shaft. Both of my boats have been long shafts and they provide a much safer feeling when more gunwale / transom is desirable.
Tim
Agreed.

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

They make trailers with the folding hitch so they will fit into a garage. Not sure if that is an easy retrofit. Check out the trailer section.
There are many factors involved in a trailer, lots of 14-16' boats fit on same trailer. Position of axel would prob be biggest factor. When I had to get a new trailer last year I got a slightly larger one so that I could open the stupid back door on my RAV4, I will see if I can get a total length later today.

answer3

Post by answer3 »

In have a rav4 also so it would be a huge help!

WPS

Post by WPS »

rscottp wrote:They make trailers with the folding hitch so they will fit into a garage. Not sure if that is an easy retrofit. Check out the trailer section.
Yeah, or you can buy the kit to make your trailer tongue fold... I've made a lot of these.

answer3

Post by answer3 »

oh nice, I did not expect it to be that cheap. that is going to open a lot of possibilities so I may be able to fit a 16ft!

Now I need to build my "fake" wood trailer and see if I can get it out easily of the driveway and take the street turn. If anyone could share his trailer measurements that would help a lot. I think the most important parameters I would need are total length, width at the back of the trailer and distance between the back of the trailer and the wheels axle. I hope this is going to be good!

Also another question I have is whether it is possible to move a 14 or 16ft aluminium boat + trailer + outboard by pushing manually the trailer or is it too heavy and it has to be pushed by car? My garage is a little but uphill so I am wondering if I can move the boat + trailer by hand.