First time boat buyer questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off nice to meet everyone and my name is Jason.
I live up in the mountains of California ( Sierra range )
most of my fishing will be on small to medium lakes. all my boating will be fishing related.

I have a wife and 2 kids who say they want to go but realistically much of the time may be me alone. or me and a buddy or my son and I.
so I need something i can tow with my small Ford Ranger and launch by myself when needed.

I want aluminum for sure.
is 14 feet too small? I am worried 16 feet would be too large for my lakes but not really sure. I really want a side console. I am capable of welding though and could probably add a console if the right tiller came up. I like the idea of pull start but could I add steering to a pull start motor?

I have been thinking about this a lot and find myself not answering my own questions and I'm sure I am over thinking it haha.
I have a budget in mind up too 2500.00 for the boat.

A few examples of what I have been looking at this last week and thinking of in general.
14 foot Sea Nymph 14M with side console. Riveted but very clean looks almost new. 1984 model. Electric start just needs a trolling motor and down riggers.

The next option is a boat i like as well. its a 14 ft Western welded aluminum . Tiller model though. if i could figure out if i could add a console and convert this motor I like this boat. its very wide looking and looks easy to pull and very stable. Western seems to have a good rep out here for being wide , stable and tough .

Id like to get a boat by xmas as it seems there are better deals but i could save up if needed. I have found some 15 ft klamath and gregor side consoles but they are either to spendy for me or not in nice shape or too far away to go look at.

is a good shape riveted boat ok? or is welded better?
these are mountain lakes with rocks or decomposed granite shores.

Thank you Jason

I would go with the welded tin especially with the rocks by you.Dent a riveted seam bad & you will probably have a leak.
You should be good with the 14 footer,just watch the weather on any sizable lakes.

IMO, with a wife and 2 kids that may want to go out boating/fishing, I wouldn't look at anything less than 15' and would prefer a wide 16'. I've got a 15' now and with me, my fishing buddy, and all our gear, I'm always wishing I had more room. I can't imagine having something smaller. And if you start with a 14', then you add a console, you're giving up even more space.

I know that the same body of water can be called a lake or a pond, depending on what state you happen to be in. But around here, anything big enough to be called a lake is easily big enough that you'd never consider a 16' as being too big for the lake. So I wouldn't worry about a 16' being too big for your lake or your truck.

If you want a console setup, buy a motor that's already set up for remote steer. Less headaches and less expense in the end. If you're dealing with an older motor, you may not be about to buy a conversion kit any longer. And that doesn't even take into account, the high cost of doing a conversion. That will blow a big chunk of your budget.

I'd prefer a welded over a riveted, but as long as it's in good shape, I'd take either. If you plan on building raised decks, wider is better so don't buy a skinny boat. I'd look for a 42" (width at floor) or wider.

https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/4773570504.html

this is the one i was thinking of. simple but still with a console.

HANGTOWN FARMS said:
https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/4773570504.html

this is the one i was thinking of. simple but still with a console.

Looks pretty clean, but probably priced a little high ($1950??) seeing it was listed 23 days ago.
He may be willing to negotiate on price though.
If there is a lake nearby, ask for a test drive and take it from there. Good luck.

HANGTOWN FARMS said:
What would you say that it's worth?
Price varies quite a bit by location and no hard rules for what its worth.
That looks to be a very clean boat and trailer. Only flaw I see is some ragged carpet on the bunk.
Also, I would change up the winch so the strap is under the bow roller/stop. Simple fix.
Not sure why the motor would need a whale tail? A 35 hp shouldn't have any trouble planing a boat that size.

The ad says best offer. I would offer maybe $1500 "IF" it checks out OK.
The best test for a boat and motor is on the water, but this may not be a convenient option for you.
After being burned a couple times, I wouldn't buy otherwise.
JMO.

-jasper

jasper60103 said:
HANGTOWN FARMS said:
Not sure why the motor would need a whale tail? A 35 hp shouldn't have any trouble planing a boat that size.

The best test for a boat and motor is on the water, but this may not be a convenient option for you.
Looking at the stain line on the transom, I'd say it sits a little low in the back end so the whale tail was probably attempting to get the back end up faster but you never really know about those whale tails.
And the only way I'd buy a boat/motor without testing them would be if the price reflected that of a motor that didn't run or had serious issues and it was still worth the price.

I would get at least a 16 foot if your garage can hold it. I have a young family and I have found if I go fishing by myself or with a buddy my wife gets irritated, but if I take the kids and leave her at home by herself then I am a good person. The vast majority of my trips are with the kids and the extra room helps.

I used to want a side console because it is easier to trailer and maybe drive. But after having a tiller for a year I would not go back because I like the open middle of the boat. 3 people can easily fish, one in the front, one in the middle, and one on the back.

bird35 said:
I would get at least a 16 foot if your garage can hold it. I have a young family and I have found if I go fishing by myself or with a buddy my wife gets irritated, but if I take the kids and leave her at home by herself then I am a good person. The vast majority of my trips are with the kids and the extra room helps.

I used to want a side console because it is easier to trailer and maybe drive. But after having a tiller for a year I would not go back because I like the open middle of the boat. 3 people can easily fish, one in the front, one in the middle, and one on the back.

Yep, I love my 16 footer and the wide open floor in the middle, and it fits nicely in the garage out of the weather. :)

Obviously the bigger the better. If your truck has the V6 it will pull even a 17 1/2 ft bass tracker with no problem. We have a 30 acre lake here that I fish & I would put any boat I owned on it regardless of the size of the boat. I do like my 14 ft boat because as long as I can back to the waters edge, I can get the boat on any body of water. I use it on small farm ponds. Good luck in your search & keep us posted as to what you get.

I dragged her home. she is in great shape. The 14M Sea Nymph is plenty big for what I need at this time. super well cared for that was what made the deal. I got her for 1860 but he threw in tons of lifejackets , oars , fishing net so I am happy as I feel I know what I got

The 35 horse Evinrude sounds great

Thanks for all the input

HANGTOWN FARMS said:
I dragged her home. she is in great shape. The 14M Sea Nymph is plenty big for what I need at this time. super well cared for that was what made the deal. I got her for 1860 but he threw in tons of lifejackets , oars , fishing net so I am happy as I feel I know what I got

The 35 horse Evinrude sounds great

Thanks for all the input

Congrats!
Sounds like Santa came through! =D>
Enjoy!

-jasper

here are a few pics

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 2.JPG