another gunwale question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstresponder01

Reaction score
So the time to build a gunwale is getting closer and closer everyday and I still haven't decided what to do. I have no gunwale. It is strait metal edge. I was going to use wood on each side sandwiching it. Or doing a PVC edge. Are either of these strong enough to help structure of the boat? Or should I look into square tubing? Problem is I don't have the equipment to bend metal. Its a 1464 semi v. Going to be decking it and mounting a 20-25hp on the back. I've rebuilt the seats and the framing so all of that is solid and hold the walls up nicely without movong. I just don't want to do all this work, then have the boat fail because I didn't build the gunwales right or wrong. Thanks guys.

Times Two on the wood:

Put some thought and research into the "Old School" style.
My thought process goes to some 1/4" x 1-1/2" white oak strips glued up in layers with Resorcinol glue.
Of course, here in the 21st Century, many epoxies and Gorilla Glue dominate the adhesive world.
I just like WOOD when it comes to adding things to a boat.

info on adhesives: https://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=smalser&file=articles_737.shtml

That's what I have bought for it, the 1/4x 1 1/2. Its a 1958 lonestar semi v 1464. I was going to use PL400 on it and then some polished bolts. I think that should work. Thanks guys

Latest posts