Has Anybody Ever Used This as a Boat Flooring Alternative?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pie...zIjoiNy45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi OiI0NjE3In0=

If so, how'd it work out for you? I looked at a set of these last night at good ole' HF & it says "waterproof" & that each package covers 17 sq ft (with 20% off coupon currently get them for about $8.00 a set). Seems like they'd hold up pretty well too considering what they're originally designed for. The only bad side I see is them being black (don't know if or how you can successfully change the color). But I do know for certain, it'd sure be comfortable on the ole' feet. :wink:
Relevant thoughts..

FWIW I use it as my flooring in my basement workshop (over insulated 2' by 2' inter-locking wood panels) and my home gym and it is GREAT for that use!

But in a boat, I think you'd need a way to keep it down. Maybe a wood screw here and there to tie every other piece in, but if/when trailered, I can easily see it being pulled up.

Otherwise .... I love it! FYI, one can also buy it in many other colors off eBay (used for gyms and kids rooms floors) albeit it at higher prices.

DaleH said:
FWIW I use it as my flooring in my basement workshop (over insulated 2' by 2' inter-locking wood panels) and my home gym and it is GREAT for that use! But in a boat, I think you'd need a way to keep it down. Maybe a wood screw here and there to tie every other piece in, but if/when trailered, I can easily see it being pulled up.
Otherwise .... I love it! FYI, one can also buy it in many other colors off eBay (used for gyms and kids rooms floors) albeit it at higher prices.

Thanks, I'll check Ebay out. :beer:
But I think that if you use a good quality, outdoor carpeting adhesive that's dried thoroughly, that it should be ok. After all, it's on the bottom of the inside of a boat, glued to the floor & casting decks only. Not much air pressure there. But maybe a ss wood screw coupled with a ss grommet here & there might not be a bad idea either. :-k

I was only thinking the screw/washer to lock a few panels in here or there, so it could be removed to give the boat a thorough cleaning. But I would think if we'll planned and laid out ... maybe that wouldn't be necessary and it could just be laid down and glued.

I installed those HF ones in my 12' Gregor. They are a darker grey not black. I haven't noticed any extra heat with them but they are nice to stand on and help with noise. I bought a few extra packs of them because there cheap and easy to cut and install. They are not fastened down but lay flat and stay in place...When traveling I always have something laying on the floor so having them fly out isn't a problem.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,450
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,450
I noticed this 2'x6' mat in the similar items and I think I would prefer that to the interlocking panels.
https://m.harborfreight.com/Anti-Fatigue-Roll-Mat-61241.html

I think if I were to do that I think I would start with a wood or carpeted deck, cut the mat to fit, then figure out some grommets or something around the edge to do a sort of "hook-and-hole" system to keep them in place like you see on some car floorboard mats. I thought of that when I saw some vinyl/rubber material at Home Depot last night that is used to protect the wood under showers and tubs.

I bought a slightly different style for my boat. I got the rubber matts with quarter size holes in it so that the water would drain better, and it was lighter. I really liked it this year and it has held up. The way I secured mine was using a couple zip ties looped from a hole in the mat, and then under a rib. It makes it really easy for cleaning.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 10.47.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 10.47.58 PM.png
    572.3 KB · Views: 1,411
I am in the process of replacing mine with seadek.

They worked great for me, but have their shortcomings. I did not glue them down, simply used tape underneath.

Pros:

Affordable, easy to cut, cheap to replace.
very comfy if your butt is on the floor.

Looks nice on floor.

Cons:

Fly out of boat, I lost multiple pieces on more than one occasion. I would lay out my gear on the floor to help, but small pieces could still fly out.
Would buckle in direct sunlight.
did get hot..mine were black.
held water underneath
had to remove them to clean boat.
slip issues...I almost ruptured my crotch stepping off of deck onto floor and the tiles shifted.

Nonetheless, I used them in my boat for 2 years.

I used them in my build after lots of research and testing...zero issues, no heat (they're gray) no flout as they are almost 3/4inch thick.. Non slip. But they were intended for industrial use. You can s then in my build. Going into 3 years now.

Latest posts