Crushed Glass Blasting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEngLund

Reaction score
I am weighing options for prepping my boat for painting and I saw a video on soda blasting. Looked great, but the only outfit near me that does that kind of work does crushed glass and said that it works well and shouldn't damage the hull at the right PSI. I did my usual Google investigation and the jury appears to still be out... any opinions, Tin Boaters?

Thanks,

NewEngLund

I just have a small sand blaster & the more aggressive the media the more it takes off.I can not even imagine what crushed glass would do.I would want to see it done on a test piece of aluminum before I would proceed.

Don't know whether the soda blaster guy gave you a quote or not but when I checked into it - I took my boat in so he could see it - guy told me $250/hour, probably two hours to do outside and inside. I went to get stripper...

Crushed walnut shells is a popular media for aluminum but all I've seen were results used on aluminum engines like motorcycle engines. I have no idea what it would do to a boat but based on what I've seen on engine fins, I think it would work fine on a boat.

I've used glass beads but never tried crushed glass.

I've only seen this on a TV car program. I do not know anything about this, but I like what I see. Here are videos I've found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjcXWsD7aeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OapFNtUK8rQ#t=22

walnut shells work awesome. The big thing with shells is that it'll remove the paint FAST, but won't attack the aluminum underneath.

Depends on the thickness of aluminum and what kind of final finish you want.

I've seen them blasted with sand before. Fine Arkansas river type sand, real dusty, really fine stuff. That was a .125" thick hull material. Was finished out with automotive style paint and came out awesome. Actually I got the sand from the river, ran it all through a sieve to get the shells and sticks out and ran it though the blaster. Took a while with one of those 5 gallon pressure blaster kits that I picked up at Harbor Freight, but it worked excellent at 90 psi.

For a boat with thin aluminum, stick with walnut shells or soda. Glass is a bit too aggressive for thin stuff. Think soda can. I've blasted soda cans with baking soda before and it removes the anodizing, bare aluminum, and does not even begin to pit or dent the can.

There are different "grits" of blasting media, even among the same media. Al oxide can be from 12 grit to about 220, for example.

A good blaster, someone who does a lot, can strip a car body in about 10 minutes. An aluminum boat, about 15 minutes at the most if he knows what he's doing. Takes longer to set everything up and get suited up. Some guys just don't want to mess with it but instead of saying "I don't want to do it", they'll jack the price way up in hopes of running you off; but if he doesn't succeed in that, he'll make some money which is what he's in business to do.

I know a guy who does (or did?) some soda blasting but AFAIK, I think he's about done with it (retiring). He's done some soda blasting on different classic car bodies over the years, excellent work.

Good info guys... I'm probably going to keep looking around and will bet that I end up stripping/sanding it anyway. Thanks for the input.