Please Help with new/old boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary078

Reaction score
Hello everyone, newbe to boating & "Tin Boats"
I just bought my first Jon Boat, no title, registration, or HIN that I can find, but I did get a bill of sale.
I looked in the usual place (upper Starboard side of the transom, but it is not there.
I live in New Jersey and it looks like before I title or register the boat I need to get a lot of information.
I read that there might be a "hidden" HIN somewhere on the boat, I have looked but can't find it, some
help or idea of where it might be would be greatly appreciated.
The previous owner did a camo job so the maker is also unknown.
I do know it is 16' x 48" I will attach a few pictures, maybe someone will be able to give me a ballpark year and maker.
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 16' Jon Boat 07.jpg
    16' Jon Boat 07.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 571
  • 16' Jon Boat 03.jpg
    16' Jon Boat 03.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 571
  • 16' Jon Boat 02.jpg
    16' Jon Boat 02.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 571
  • 16' Jon Boat 09.jpg
    16' Jon Boat 09.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 571
  • 2014-12-25 14.28.08.jpg
    2014-12-25 14.28.08.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 571
Congrats on your new boat. :) I'm not certain but it looks to be an old Quaticha. (I probably have that misspelled). They were made in Arkansas. If it is, you will not be able to find a hull number stamped in it. We have one that is a 14', that we've had for years. The only thing we could establish was that it was a late 50's. It's a good little boat though. Tighten the rivets every once in awhile and let her float!

Hope this might help a little.

Keep us posted on your progress and the pics coming!

Keith
Texas

some of the older boats (or quite a few) don't have HIN's. Or if they did, they're missing. Lots of times it was just a plate that was riveted to the stbd side of the transom and over time the boat jostling against trees, trailering, tie downs, etc....they'll get knocked off. Not really a big deal unless it's required to register it. In that case, tell them it's home-made. Sometimes that's the easiest way. It is here. Our DMV will assign a HIN and possibly assign a VIN for a trailer if it doesn't have one. Your state/locality may be different.

That does look like a Ouachita.

New Jersey not only wants a HIN but you first born child as well!
Thanks for the help, been looking on "The intra web" but can't find much on Ouachita boat like pictures, brouchers etc.
Gary

Gary078 said:
New Jersey not only wants a HIN but you first born child as well!
Thanks for the help, been looking on "The intra web" but can't find much on Ouachita boat like pictures, brouchers etc.
Gary

I know what you mean. The only way we knew that ours is an old Ouachita was seeing one that belonged to another man.

We had to have the Game Warden inspect ours. And, yes, in Texas they issue new numbers. I'd try the "home made" as well. All they can say is no. Turbo Todd is telling you right. There are a lot of old boats out there that do not have numbers. It does take some effort to get one registered and titled.

Let us know if you sacrificed your first born child! :D

Keith
Texas

A little more info for you;
Google "Ouachita Boats"
You will not only see a few pics, but there is a link to Arkladelphia, AR. That is where they were made in the 60's and 70's. We live within 125 miles of there, but we rarely go up that way. I'm sure you have heard of Hot Springs, AR? Arkladelphia is on I30, just south of Hot Springs. :arrow:

I haven't done a whole lot of research on the old Ouaticha. My research has been focused on an old '56 Lone Star. I can tell you this; many boat manufacturers did not stamp hull numbers until 1974, when the law said they had to. As was mentioned before, many only had a metal tag that was riveted or screwed on, and has since been lost. Thus, they did not have titles or registrations, as with our old Lone Star. It belonged to my uncle, so we have the history on it, but it did not have a title. :| Go figure? (1956 was a little before my time, not much, but a little.) The old Merc motor is what is really hard to title.

It is hard to get them, but persistence is the key. Don't give up! You might even have to built some things inside from wood, or over lay the seats with wood, and call it a home made. Be resourceful and you'll get to keep your first born child! :wink:

Good Luck!
Keith
Texas

Thank you all for the information, I would have gotten back here sooner but I thought it was a good idea to start the New Year out by getting the Flu!

Latest posts