Cayenne Pepper & Anti fouling bottom paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiffing

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum. I've got a 2000 Monark Knight 16 side console. I'm in the beginning stages of a restoration and just finished structural repair to the transom. My son & I will be doing a bunch of other stuff this winter like bench seat / storage installation, complete rewire, electronics & trailer work. When I get my notes and pictures organized I'll start a project thread.

The boat will be moored in brackish and salt water for weeks at a time so anti fouling is necessary. On previous fiberglass boats I've used an inexpensive ablative paint and added cayenne pepper. Nothing ever grew on these boats, even sailboats - ever. Some of my friends even mix it with epoxy paint on their tuna boats.

But I'm not sure pepper and aluminum play nice together [don't worry - I know to stay away from copper /noble additives].

Anyone have experience with this?

I just happen to have an empty beer can [it being new Year's eve and all & I'm frugal], so I cut in in half, roughed up the interior and added a tablespoon of cayenne and water. I'm going to let it site for a few weeks and see what happens.

I don't know about the pepper thing, but I can relate to using an empty beer can for a lot of other things. Good luck with your project. You are doing a good thing by recycling and reusing. :D

Happy New Year!

Keith
Texas

I also have heard of this, but never really talked with anyone that has
had first hand experience with it.
With my cooking background, I know that the cayenne oil, capsaicin, stays around for
a long time in foods. But have only heard of the Old Wives Tales about the paint thing.

Here is what I found with a 30 second Google Search........

"Several patents have been lodged for the use of capsaicin, the active ingredient in chili oil.
After anecdotal evidence of success when chili is added to conventional antifouling paint,
lab tests proved that it really did work and the chemists are now developing "hot" new coatings."
Then it goes on to say: "Chili power: When 40 milligrams per liter of capsaicin is added to antifoul,
it becomes 98 percent more effective."

So, with that being said, I also will add it to my bottom paint next week.
I think the secret is to find the purest form of capsaicin that you can find without additives.
I think you can get more information if you Google up Capsaicin Antifoul Paint.

Learned something new today. Never even heard of adding it to paint. Makes my fondness of Cayenne peppers even better! :D

When I did this on my 28' sailboat I used 1 lb of cayenne / gallon ablative paint. Never had any growth or slime. In the ocean from May through September. All natural - no additives. Previously - there was always something growing on the bottoms.

A friend used cayenne pepper with a two part paint and sprayed on. Lasted for many years. Moored at the mouth of the Merrimack River. In fact, after a couple of years he painted silver squid on the bottom with anti-foul paint but didn't add cayenne. When he pulled that year the squid were covered with crap. Saw that with my own eyes.

Anyway - I'm looking for info whether cayenne might be harmful ti aluminum. I know it works on FB & steel.

New US EPA (89825-1) labeled anti-foulant with Capsaicin active ingredient. Barnacle Stop/Mussel Stopper uses capsaicin in a patented (10,053,584) matrix that permits UNDERWATER application. Very effective on zebra & quagga mussels.
Check out www.barnaclestop.com.

Dredging this to the top for more info. Has anyone determined if Cayenne pepper is safe on aluminum hulls?

Latest posts