Hydroturf vs. Carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apersohn17

Reaction score
I am undecided whether I want to carpet my deck or Hydroturf/Grizzly Grip/etc. For sake of argument, lets say price doesnt matter. My main concerns are temperature and sound.

I plan on getting a light gray color, so I think that carpet will not be hot from the summer sun. What about Hydroturf/Grizzly Grip/etc. In a light gray color? Will this get hot in the sun?

What about when I drop my tackle box? I assume that carpet will deaden the sound better. But how much more? Will the Hydroturf/Grizzly Grip/etc. Be loud and echo?

Are there any other pros cons that you can think of that matter? What were the reasons you picked what you have? Thanks!

I would think the hydro turf would provide better sound deadening than carpet.

I have the grey hydro turf. It doesn't heat up in NC summers. Comfortable when the bare aluminum burns my skin. Very quiet also. Pricey though.

Also. Hooks don't get tangled in it. I'm three seasons in and it is still looking good. Hope this helps some.

LOL - reminds me of one of Bill Dance's TV shows of him fishing in a Jon boat with no carpet.
He was rigging up his pole and dropped a heavy sinker and it went THUNK on the metal bottom.
Without missing a beat - - he says, " my stealth technique is to go ahead and let the bass know
you are here and get it over with ". That was funny. But, it does ring a true note.
How much boat noise does it take to scare off fish ??

I just purchased an older model 1648 flat bottom with a plywood floor and the two raised decks
are blue carpet and the lower mid section has a diamond tread gray rubber pad of some sort.
While out this past saturday, it was 80* here in Central Florida and the gray pad was MUCH warmer than the carpet.
Even though the carpet is new, I don't like BLUE !! LOL so I will be replacing it with the brown astro/hydro turf.
I can only imagine how HOT that gray rubber mat will get in the full summer sun with bare toes.

So I am with you, looking for better alternatives and also, the $$$$ is not an issue.

Hyrdoturf is way better than carpet. Blood, guts, and mud wash right out. Doesn't snag hooks. Quiets the boat down a lot. Doesn't absorb water and fish odors. Feels great on bare feet.

If money is no object, check out SeaDek.

Latest posts