Ice in Bottom of Boat (89 bass tracker17')

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoaterGirl

Reaction score
Should I be worried? We bought my son a bass tracker last summer and I looked under the cover this morning and see that some water has collected in the bottom of the boat and it is totally frozen. It is a least a few inches if not more. He told me a few days ago that some rain water had gotten into the boat because the cover had been left unsecured a few weeks back. Is this something I should be worried about? I have never owned a boat. Thanks - Jen

If the water/ice is in an "open" area where the expansion won't push any seams, etc., no issues. Can always wait for the ice to melt and see if any drips show up.

Is the plug out? Is the bow of the boat raised?
I duck hunt out of my boat so having ice in it is normal. I use very hot water to melt the ice around the plug / drain when needed.

This actually will create a problem. There are always microscopic fractures, gaps, etc. in the aluminum material. These will be in the sheet aluminum, but will be words/bigger around welds and rivets. Every time the water thaws, it will seep into every one of those spaces. Then every time it freezes, the ice will expand and cause the spaces to grow. Granted, any real damage can take a while, especially for the microscopic defects, but this time is greatly reduced when there is standing water that presumably melts every day and refreezes every night. Like they said, pull the plug, bow up as much as possible, and keep it covered if you can. I wouldnt worry about it too much, (read my post in the recent thread about leaving boats outside if you're interested as to why) but if you're like me, you want that investment to last as long as it possibly can

I duck hunt out of my boat also and ice in the bottom of the hull is a regular occurrence this time of year. After we get back to the ramp I pull the plug and let the boat drain as much as possible on the incline of the ramp to keep the ice at a minimum. My biggest concern is keeping the bilge pump ice free in the event it needs used while on the water.

My boat sat outside uncovered for at least 20 years of its life - ice was never an issue and never caused any issues

I would not worry too much - like was said above if the bow is raised and drain open a little water/ice is not gonna hurt