Removable Jon Boat Platform?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will15120

Reaction score
I have a 1648 Jon boat that I use to fish and duck hunt out of. I have it all set up for hunting but I want to extend it with a platform for the off season but I want it to be semi easy to remove for when hunting season begins. Does any on have any idea of examples of what they have done?

extend in which direction ? forward or aft.

If you can, do a simple drawing, and post it here.
then the Nautical Engineers can lead you in the right direction.

If it was my boat, and wanted to extend the forward end, I would start with how to bolt
a 2" square aluminum frame to the side gunwales and bow, then some
kind of platform material to that. Keeping it as low as possible for stability.
A quick Google search turned up this - https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...oat+bow+platform&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001
Check with your local Sign Shop as they use some kind of aluminum sign boards with a honeycomb center
that is very rigid, light and 100% waterproof.

Attachments

• Side.png
    Side.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 592
I made a quick drawing and I can get a detailed one later today. But I want to extend it in that direction about 3 feet roughly. I would want to keep it flush with the front of the boat so I can then cover it in hydroturf. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421080578.739215.jpg

well, in MY mind, it would be just using some aluminum angle along the seat edge
and back edge of your deck, cut some square angle to fit your opening.
You may not like it, but, some welding would be involved to really make
a sturdy and lightweight deck / platform that is easy to remove.
some 1" x 1" schedule 40 aluminum tubing welded as a frame would rest inside the angle braces.
Then It would be as easy as putting on flip-flops to put it in or take it out.
of course, you could use 2x4 lumber and plywood - which would be fine if you
don't mind the extra weight.

it's YOUR boat - so it is YOUR call

boat extension.jpg
DECKING.png

There is nothing more grand than
to be just simply messing around
in an old boat . . . . POGO, 1960

I am wanting to go with aluminuim so I can keep it light so I can keep some speed! I like the idea and design you have and would be interested in something like that but the bench seat is a few inches lower than the bow deck. I was also thinking that I may want to try and keep it from going all the way to the bench. I have considered removing that bench seat as well when I start working on it again.

Latest posts