Bow Mount Bracket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittonp83

Reaction score
So I've made a bracket for my Minn Kota Maxxum bow mount motor out of 1/8" structural aluminium angle. It looks very similar to onthewater's pictured below.
2qkp1yf.jpg

I've spoken with him about his and it was recommended to use stainless steel rivets instead of aluminium because they were shearing off. For the joints in the angle I'm using SS machine screws and nylock nuts. For the mount to the bracket I'm using SS hex bolts with nylock nuts. I have some overhang where the bracket lays on the bow cap, so I drilled through and am gonna use SS hex bolts with nylock nuts. My question is about attaching the lower support to the bow decking. I can't get underneath it to use bolts and nuts. I don't wanna spend a few hundred on a rivnut tool, and I'm having trouble finding SS 3/16" rivets locally. What do ya'll think about epoxy and aluminum structural rivets?

I have some 1/4" dia S/S pop rivets somewhere in my tool shed . . .
don't know the length but I think they are about 3/8" or maybe even 1/2" long.
If you can wait till next week, I can send you some.
They are VERY hard to pop with the standard manual popping tool.

Very hard, but doable?

Thanks for the offer, but I can pick up SS rivets from Grainger by the end of this week if need be.

I just found my bag of S/S rivets . . . they are 3/16" x 1/2".
yes, it is very doable with a good quality hand held popping tool.
Just go slow and ensure the tool's gripping teeth have a good bite
on the stem or else you can either break the gripping jaws or
strip the grasping grooves (teeth) inside the gripper. Remain 90* to the rivet.
If you use a cheap popping tool from Harbor Freight, you may be
making another trip back to either buy another tool or get a refund.
LOL my rivet tools are over 30 years old. Higher quality than today's tools.
And depending on your mating surfaces, If it were my project, I would consider
trying the epoxy adhesive with the aluminum rivets. 1/4" aluminum rivets are pretty
hefty if you use enough of them, they will hold an elephant IF installed correctly.

Jus my dos centavos

Way way back in my former life, I used to rivet aircraft parts together, this is
why I have a little knowledge with them.

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely leaning towards epoxy and aluminum rivets. I can always drill them and replace them.

- exactly -

with rivets in a "non structural " application, they will become "loose" prior to actually failing.
IF you experience the epoxy failing first, then the loose rivets, just take it all
out, clean it up, and do it all over again.
If you can get to the bottom of the rivet, there are small washers you can
put on the rivet body prior to popping it. Giving it a little more strength.
1/4" vs 3/16" rivets would be my recommendation if you can find them.
Good Luck !!

Boom, I'm tired of over thinking everything. Teflon tape and nylon washers everywhere SS meets Al. Marine epoxy plus 3/16 structural aluminium rivets, and 1/4 20 SS bolts up front. The Phillips screws are just to align the bracket, they'll be replaced when the motor goes on.
P_20150120_171200.jpg

Latest posts