pool noodles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhef

Reaction score
i see were some of you guys use spray in foam etc for flotation. but i think im gonna go buy about 10 or 12 pool noodles and put them under my deck.anyone tried this? seems to me if one noodle will float a 200 lb person that 10 or 12 should keep my 1548 weldbilt floating if something bad ever happened.i have bilge pumps etc. but just in case, my boat didnt come with flotation

I'm interested in hearing what the experienced members have to say about this. I may be in need of replacing old/rotted foam in my Jon.

Pool noodles will work but the hole in the middle is missing foam and the round shape leaves will keep them from completely filling the cavity your filling.
The pink and blue foam insulating panels are a great way the add that margin of safety.

jhef said:
i see were some of you guys use spray in foam etc for flotation. but i think im gonna go buy about 10 or 12 pool noodles and put them under my deck.anyone tried this? seems to me if one noodle will float a 200 lb person that 10 or 12 should keep my 1548 weldbilt floating if something bad ever happened.i have bilge pumps etc. but just in case, my boat didnt come with flotation

10 or 12 will not keep your boat from sinking, not even close.

Tim

There is a "sticky" in this forum that will help you calculate how much foam you need. A 200 lb. person only needs about 15lbs. of additional buoyancy to keep them afloat. Your boat will need more.

Because of the round profile and hollow center of pool noodles, you will only get about half the floatation as you would with foam in the same compartment. Not saying don't use them (I did) - just be aware of the limitations.

my boat didnt have abit of flotation in it new. so i figured if i threw abunch under the deck it would hold it up or atleast be better then nothing. i only get on small electric lakes so im always close to a bank. dont think i need any at all really. but for just incase or peace of mind. way i figure if i can float using one noodle and i way 240 then a bunch of noodles under deck taking up excess space should keep the boat upright just in case. you keep saying the noodle has a hole down the middle. yes i know but that doesnt seem to effect it from keeping my big ole but from drowning in the pool..seems like a bunch of them would eliminate space that water could occupie as well but who knows im just a redneck in alabama who likes to johnny rig stuff his own way lol

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Try using a pool noodle to float something with no buoyance.

Exactly - a person has a natural degree of buoyancy already - even BassAddict and he has a heart of stone - Some people are sinkers and some will float

So, the pool noodle, even if the person sinks, is not really holding afloat 200 lbs

Your boat, engine, etc all are MUCH MUCH less buoyant then a person - so you need more floaty stuff to keep them from sinking

Yes. When I calculated it for my 1542 with typical gear and 3 people (for worst case scenario) I need almost 11 cubic ft of foam. That's a lot of pool noodles.

I plan on keeping my back Jon seat full of the original foam, putting 1 inch foam under my floor, and putting some pool noodles in the voids between hatches.

jhef said:
my boat didnt have abit of flotation in it new. so i figured if i threw abunch under the deck it would hold it up or atleast be better then nothing.

That's where I was - the pool noodles were better than what was there (nothing). I am looking at a way to increase the flotation in the currently "pool noodled" compartments. On one of the other sites someone suggested putting the noodles in a plastic bag or a giant zip-lock bag and sealing it. That may be my next step (spray in foam won't work because I need to access fittings in the compartments at times).

Latest posts