Rainsuit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
Looking for a good rain suit for the Spring and Summer. ...Not one of those 100mph suits. And not one of those cheap Frogg Toggs that rip like tissue paper. I'm tired of wasting money on them.

Need something light, packable, breathable, and comfortable for repeated casting and moving around. Was looking at the Grundens, but wasn't sure which model would fit that bill since some of them are made for heavy duty work.

Any advice appreciated. Please do not mention Frogg Toggs! I want something that will last.

Bought a set from Cabelas (lightweight & breathable) and they've been awesome! A friend bought a set and had a tear of a seam and they replaced with the newer more expensive version w/ no questions asked. I'm a big fan of their clothing, even have a few camp woolen others too - superior performance at a great price! And nice features to boot, like a hunter or fisherman actually helped design them.

Anything with Goretex will be worth the $$, can usually get the jacket/pants for $100/each but if you take reasonable care, will last a long time.

Personally, I am looking for the same thing. My current gear is "Columbia" sailing gear.
A little fleece insulation and I really like it. BRIGHT YELLOW in case you fall off your boat.
and now being 6 years old, it is starting to crack here and there from age and what not . . . . .

If anyone plans to be on the water, BRIGHT COLORS could save your life if you fall out of your boat.
Or, changing a tire along side the road in dark rainy weather. BE SEEN is my motto.
Plus some reflective stripes is a good idea too if you can find it.
I have been looking on E-Bay . . . lots of good stuff from $20-50.

Attachments

• 1-26-2015 5-04-50 PM.png
    1-26-2015 5-04-50 PM.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 887
I'm a pretty big fan of the Cabelas Guidewear stuff.
Recommend getting the jacket that has neoprene cuffs.

I was at BPS today and saw some goretex bibs on clearance for $170, regular $220 I think. These were the heavy cordura material on knees, seat, etc., had other goretex pants for $100

I wear grunden jackets lobster fishing...holds up well and is light weight...to cold when below freezing though

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
rscottp said:
I won a set of Grunden's Gage rain gear last year. Nice stuff, waterproof, breathable, lightweight and durable.

That's the one's that I'm looking at.
They are a little heavier than some of the real lightweight breathable stuff out there but I feel like it will hold up better and keep the rain out longer. Check them out in person if you can.

Ordered a pair of Simms Gore-tex Paclite pants. Trying out the pants before I commit to the jacket. A lot of good reivews on them, didn't find any bad reviews.

Found a pretty good number of bad reviews on the light, breathable rain gear from Grundens. Their heavy duty stuff wouldn't work for me in the Spring and Summer.

Simms make great products! I have a pair of their custom fit waders, they are by far the best waders I have ever had! It isn't even close, I am sure you will be happy with the Simms gear.

I second the Simms brand. I have their G3 waders, and they are fantastic. I cannot comment on the rain gear, but I have other Simms products (boots, hats, shirts, etc.), and I'm always searching for more.

Another angle to consider, is to look at outdoor/hiking gear companies' packable rain gear. I have a set of Marmot Precip (IIRC) that I use for golf.

I have found great deals on Sierra Trading Post for some Simms gear and the Marmot rain suit.

Hope this helps.

I have the frogg toogg toad skins jacket. Nice enough but after a few years not so waterproof

I second the cabelas guidewear

My wife got is both a full set of Patagonia rain gear. Wore it in oregon and alaska and it's holding up very well. It expensive unless you catch it on sale, which she did. I think we got the pants and jacket for under 100 or right at, I can't remember now. I'm pretty sure she got it at 6pm website, they usually have some of the better outdoor clothing marked down.

Latest posts