wood or aluminum for deck frame?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schambachjohn

Reaction score
What's everybody's thoughts on material to build deck frames? I'm kinda stuck on what I should use. I'm decking a 14' flat bottom. Right now I'm prepping for paint. Also what do you guys use to fasten your deck frames to the bottom and sides of the boat? Rivets?

Either will work fine. There are TONS of examples of each throughout the modifications forum. I went with all aluminum for my build. The pro's of aluminum is light weight, strong and should last the life of the boat. It's more difficult to work with than wood though. I used solid rivets to secure my framing to my boat and closed end, blind rivets to secure my aluminum to the framing.

I used aluminum and would definitely use it again. It is lighter, and weight is a big consideration with any boat mod. It is very easy to work with and will outlast wood.

Frame Complete.JPGI went with aluminum angles. Used a structural grade from a local metals supplier. All fastenings with pop rivets - used closed end ones for fastening brackets to sides of hull.

Small job, but totally justified purchase of a Harbor Freight air operated pop rivet tool.

Aluminum! It was intimidating at first but turned out no harder to work than wood. It's lighter, stronger, won't rot, and takes up less space.

Aluminum! I had to use wood on a certain part of my rebuild....just a couple months later and I already have a piece warping. If you use wood...you have to consider every hole you drill will possibly give water a way in. If you use aluminum...no worries all the way around!

I remember read a thread before someone bought some aluminum ladder on sale and cut it up for the angles cheaper than buying aluminum angle / bar stock.

Latest posts