Rivet Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeRauch

Reaction score
There are some rusty bolts on my hull that probably used to hold something but they are now just sitting there looking ugly. I had the idea that I could replace the bolts with rivets. I could get a cheap riveter and 1/4" rivets on amazon for cheap; however, after doing some reading, I'm worried that I would need something more heavy duty for such a large diameter rivet. Does anyone have experience in this area?

how many holes do you have to plug ??
can you get a hammer to the back and peen down the stems ??

I just plugged over a hundred holes with 1/4" rivets that you have to flatten the stem.

I got my "Brazier" style rivets from Zoro.com which have an extra large flat head.
They also carry the aluminum washers that go on pop rivets.

Zoro Tools also sells small quantities on E-Bay

Attachments

• 6LB25_AS01.JPG
    6LB25_AS01.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 965
Most home owner riveters only have 1/8" 5/32" & 3/16"

You can pop 1/4" open end rivets with a hand riveter. Depending on your strength you may need both hands though! I know I cannot pop a 1/4" cap [solid bottom] pop rivet.

Use aluminum rivet with aluminum mandrel type.

I got a rivet tool at Harbor freight for $19.00 it does 1/4" and smaller. Menards sells the tool too and that's where I get my all aluminum rivets.

Pop rivets are not as strong as the solid rivets boats are built with, and no rivet is as strong as a bolt. I would head for the hardware or home improvement store and grab a few stainless steel nuts and bolts to replace those bolts. Never have to worry about those again! 8)

But if it's not structural and above the waterline I guess you could pop it

Barefoot_Johnny said:
how many holes do you have to plug ??
can you get a hammer to the back and peen down the stems ??

I just plugged over a hundred holes with 1/4" rivets that you have to flatten the stem.

I got my "Brazier" style rivets from Zoro.com which have an extra large flat head.
They also carry the aluminum washers that go on pop rivets.

Zoro Tools also sells small quantities on E-Bay

Use the Brazier type rivet and all you need is 2 hammers, be sure to clean the surfaces using a SS wire wheel first and put a dab of 5200 on the rivet when you install it, very easy to do. a small sledge hammer is best for the anvil, or a heavier hammer anyway.

I have the head of a 10 pound sledge hammer for my hand held anvil which works quite well.
Two ordinary carpenter hammers will not perform well..... you need a really SOLID backing anvil.
The rivets I used are 1/4" diameter by 5/16" long. Pretty hefty. It takes from 4 to 7
whacks to get it flattened out like I wanted.

I tried putting the 5200 on the rivet first - - - theoretically, it sounds like a good idea.
BUT - in actual performance, you are just wasting your expensive 5200 because after
half a dozen whacks of the hammer, there is no sealant left around the rivet.
The same with Pop Rivets - I noticed no sealing significance of applying the sealant before popping.
So, I installed the Pop Rivets and washers first, then a coat of primer, then I will seal with 5200
and come back with a second coat of primer. I will do this both inside and outside of the boat.

But, do whatever works for you !!!!

Attachments

• Jon Rivets 003.JPG
    Jon Rivets 003.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 922
  • Jon Pop Rivets 001.jpg
    Jon Pop Rivets 001.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 922
  • Jon Pop Rivets 002.JPG
    Jon Pop Rivets 002.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 922
  • Jon Rivets 005.JPG
    Jon Rivets 005.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 922
  • Jon Rivets 006.JPG
    Jon Rivets 006.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 922
  • Jon Rivets 007.JPG
    Jon Rivets 007.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 922
I agree a bigger hammer for the anvil is better, like I said. I haven’t done any 1/4” rivets either. As far as the 5200 before the rivet, you are correct there isn’t much left inside and there shouldn’t be but, it doesn’t take much either and it doesn’t take much for water to leak in either, the minimal amount of 5200 used was less money than the rivets. I wouldn’t do it any other way. Overkill maybe but worth it to me.

This has been extremely helpful. I think I'm gonna go with the brazier rivets since these holes are right on the side of the hull where it's easily accessible for two hammers. Then I'm going to steel flex over the outside. Thank you for the pics and explanations!

When I redid my transom, I got a pneumatic air chisel from Harbor Freight for about $15. I then ordered 2 rivet setting tools that fit into an air hammer, IIRC about $8 each. The setting tools are for brazier head rivets and I got 2 sizes. One size for the standard of my boat and one size bigger for the standard rivet holes I would inevitably ding up. In that case I just drilled the holes to the size of my bigger rivets and all was good. IMO, if you have a riveted boat an air hammer for setting solid rivets is indispensable. I've used mine way more than $15 worth.

https://www.harborfreight.com/medium-barrel-air-impact-hammer-69866.html

Latest posts