2015 grizzly 1754 seat post

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mook1754

Reaction score
Hello all, have been researching and checking out the site for a little while now, excellent topics. Last season I purchased a 2015 grizzly all weld 1754 and I want to add a seat base to the lower center deck. Not sure if there is enough room between the floor and the hull nor do I know if the floor there is strong enough to support a pedestal seat there. I would be using your typical quick release seat base mounted with self tappers. My two main concerns are the strength of the floor and the possibility of punching a hole through the hull if there is not enough clearance and I happen to hit something in that spot under water. Ant help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,101
More than likely you will not have room for a standard seat base. Your floor sits on top of your cross supports and more than likely is only a couple of inches from the bottom of the boat. I would look for different options

Not sure how easily you can get your floor up, but here is how I did mine with a bell type pedestal mount.

What I'm thinking of doing is installing 2 pieces of angle going from fore to aft between the ribs of where my captains seat will be installed. I'll cut a piece of .125" sheet to span this distance. I'll install my seat base with stainless nuts, bolts and washers thru the floor and thru the extra piece of sheet before I install my floor. I'll install my floor and in addition to riveting my floor down to the ribs I'll rivet my floor and the extra piece of sheet to the extra angle I installed. I envision those extra rivets only being a few inches off each side of the base. I'm thinking the extra sheet will help support my nuts and bolts better and by riveting all of this to the angle I'll install, it will help keep the floor from flexing from the stress from the seat???

Hopefully that made sense? I have had my seat installed this way through 2 duck seasons and a full fishing season. Nice and sturdy with no issues. The only problem I envision is if I ever have to do something with my seat I will have to pull up my floor, which will be a huge PITA!!!

IMAG0865_zpsf8a863b9.jpg

IMAG0864_zpscbe367f4.jpg

IMAG0899_zpsaef1b415.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of how I actually secured my seat down, but if you look at the last picture you can see the template I put on my floor to know where my extra piece of sheet and angle was. This way I knew where to add my extra rivets to strengthen it all up.

Don't know if this is going to make any sense either, but!
Maybe a piece of diamond plate, or heavy aluminum, about 2' wide or more that goes across the bottom and up each side, fabricated to be able to use two carriage bolts on each side, mounted in the "TRAC", to secure it from moving. Build a box on top of that plate to secure the seat base to. Make it so the whole thing can be easily removed if wanted.
Maybe could use the same principle and fabricate a slot on top of the floor plate where a seat base like the panfish model would slide into instead of using a post base. Could also do that with a post base box, that way it could be removed.
Maybe just thinking too hard!!!!! :lol:

This is what I did and I love it, I can easily move it out of the way or forward or backward to redistribute the weight if needed, plus it can be stored inside out of the weather. I used the base from Tempress which is SS and not cheap but I use my boat is salt water.

mook1754 said:
Looks good I just can't pull the floor too new to take it that far just yet.

I feel ya!! My boat was far from new when I got it and the first hole I drilled into it was scary!! Now I've probably drilled several dozen holes in it, and put a few holes in the bottom with some rocks :oops:

Another option that might work is to install rivnuts into your floor and then install your seat base with some stainless bolts + loctite? I use 4 rivnuts to secure my trolling motor to my bow deck. Very strong and easy to remove when I want to. If you know exactly where you want your seat you could also drill a small hole through your floor dead center of where your going to mount your seat and then you'll be able to figure out how much clearance you have underneath. If that doesn't work, once you figure out how your going to mount your seat, the seat mount will cover your "exploratory" hole. Just a thought.

The only other thing I'd be concerned about is not having enough support with just bolting/screwing to your floor. With mine I added a piece of .125" sheet and some angle underneath my floor to help secure my seat. Not sure how well it would have done without some sort of backing.

What about something like this? Do you think it would be sturdy enough when just bolted/screwed to the floor?

Does anyone make heavy duty toggle bolts that would hold this set up down to the floor...I think that would be a better option that screws.

Attachments

• 1852127_1205150503201.jpg
    1852127_1205150503201.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,014

Latest posts