1989 Bass Tracker Transom Replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beenslayin

Reaction score
I had to cut the welds to remove the cap off of my transom. I am going to epoxy the marine plywood together with a layer of fiberglass in between them. Then plan on sealing it with epoxy. The welder I am hiring is concerned about the amount of heat that will be generated affecting the wood. He says the wood and epoxy will burn. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas? I hate to put all of this work into it only to have my wood scorched to embers.

Probably 5086 aluminum.

Stay away from 3033 and such.

Lots of heat and will definitely burn anything near by if the weld is more than a tack.

There have been lots of boat that have had the corner braces welded back in including mine and I have never heard of one going up in flames.

Yeah not sure how to deal with putting in a new wood transom only to burn it up with the welding. I called today and Tracker Marine said it was 5052.

Post pictures maybe there is another way. I cut my corner braces off and just pop-riveted them back on, they are as good as ever. I also used a strong adhesive like JB weld when I reinstalled them. Solid as a rock.

Need to take pictures of finished product.

I could have removed the bracing below the wood but went this route instead. It worked out fine.

Latest posts